Mono FOH / Stereo on Stage?

saxxamafone

Inspired
I've been running stereo through my cabs lately and i've really been diggin it

most sound guys i work with run a mono signal for guitars through the PA (i've also got a 2nd guitarist so we generally get one side of the PA each)

if i use the left and right outputs from output B (going to poweramp and cabs) and just run 1 line from output A to the FOH, will i end up with a stereo stage sound and mono FOH?

Yes, you will.

However, watch out for any stereo effects that have some extreme settings. For example, if you use a dual delay, or a multi-tap delay, and if some of the pan settings have a very high value, then your single line from output 1 to FOH might be missing some of the repeats. You won't get on FOH the same signal you get on stage.

Hmmm....I go stereo FOH and mono onstage (last few shows).
I gotz to share the audio bliss with the audience. Its better to give than recieve.

................................(Shut up Shredi!) :p

saxxamafone said:
I've been running stereo through my cabs lately and i've really been diggin it

most sound guys i work with run a mono signal for guitars through the PA (i've also got a 2nd guitarist so we generally get one side of the PA each)

if i use the left and right outputs from output B (going to poweramp and cabs) and just run 1 line from output A to the FOH, will i end up with a stereo stage sound and mono FOH?

I believe that you can use the L+R Sum feature of the I/O Menu to mix the L&R signals into mono for the Out 1 jacks.

Just make sure that your presets also sound OK in mono.

Cheers guys

I guess I can always run a single line to my home studio to test the FOH settings

I’d LOVE to run in stereo live but I’m a bit scared to ask my sound guy to do that ?

Can you usually have 1 guitarist running in stereo when there are 2 guitarist in the band?

saxxamafone said:
Cheers guys

I guess I can always run a single line to my home studio to test the FOH settings

I’d LOVE to run in stereo live but I’m a bit scared to ask my sound guy to do that ?

Can you usually have 1 guitarist running in stereo when there are 2 guitarist in the band?

Yes.

spoke to my sound guy last night about running stereo FOH and he thinks it's a great idea

this will mean my dry high gain patches will be coming through the PA in stereo too won't it?

or should i set up to run stereo fx (cleans, delays etc.) and mono high gain (keeping in mind i have another guitarist with me on the other side of stage)?

i've never delt with stereo setups before, especially live, so any advice would be great

saxxamafone said:
spoke to my sound guy last night about running stereo FOH and he thinks it's a great idea

this will mean my dry high gain patches will be coming through the PA in stereo too won't it?

or should i set up to run stereo fx (cleans, delays etc.) and mono high gain (keeping in mind i have another guitarist with me on the other side of stage)?

i've never delt with stereo setups before, especially live, so any advice would be great

If you not using stereo effects your sound will essentially be mono which is fine. It all depends on the rest of the band and finding your own sonic space to fit in within the context of the genre.

Back
Top Bottom