Monitoring thoughts

Reet

Inspired
So i've been a Fractal user since 2015. I had an Axe 2 for many years and currently am loving my FM9. I've had many monitoring solutions ranging from Matrix to Atomic and now i have an EV PXM 12. I've always played with out 1 to my monitor and out 2 to a poweramp and cab. I've had a matrix gt1000fx in the past and currently i have a Seymour Duncan PS170. I always have prefered the sound of a direct signal. I love cabs and grew up on them but after playing direct for years everytime i A B the poweramp and cab sound i think cabs in the room sound nowhere near as good. I play both almost daily and when i switch to mostly a cab blend (or 100% cab) in the room it sounds strange. Anyone else expierience this? Being on the forum it seems most people are opposite. They love the cab in the room and dislike their Frfr solution. I play both blended because i can but prefer the frfr over the cab quite a bit. I'm generally playing around the 90db mark also. When i play my tube amps with the cab it always shocks me how 'raw' it sounds. I much prefer a direct signal i guess maybe i'm overthinking things. I'm using York audio sm57 singleshot IR's of the same cabs i own with a low and highcut at 80 and 10000 both with 18db/octave slopes. So no crazy cutting or EQ'ing.

Last edited:
I have not used my real 2x12 and a poweramp in months now, but what I did like about it was the unmistakable sonic signature I was familiar with from years of using that cab.

Like you I think I now prefer the full FRFR solution because it really lets the full, "idealised" sound of the modelled amp come through. The modelled amp through your own cab can sound like the real thing, but it might not be the same as intended right?

At around 90 dB IMO you are not getting the same vibe from a real cab as you are from an IR which is designed to sound like that cab, cranked and mic'd well in a proper environment. Maybe that's the difference for you?

I monitor guitar the same way I monitor any other mic’d or recorded instrument: studio monitors in an acoustically treated room, or headphones. I don’t understand the interest in playing through real cabs. All I care about is what makes it into the DAW or FOH console, so for me adding a live cab and mics is expensive, loud, heavy, and makes zero difference in the final recorded track compared to an IR of the same setup.

Last edited:
I have not used my real 2x12 and a poweramp in months now, but what I did like about it was the unmistakable sonic signature I was familiar with from years of using that cab.

Like you I think I now prefer the full FRFR solution because it really lets the full, "idealised" sound of the modelled amp come through. The modelled amp through your own cab can sound like the real thing, but it might not be the same as intended right?

At around 90 dB IMO you are not getting the same vibe from a real cab as you are from an IR which is designed to sound like that cab, cranked and mic'd well in a proper environment. Maybe that's the difference for you?

Thanks for the input. I think you're totally right. I imagine its more of a preference and just what i'm used to at this point.

I monitor guitar the same way I monitor any other mic’d or recorded instrument: studio monitors in an acoustically treated room, or headphones.

I should use my studio monitors more often. I always use my EV at higher volume but this week i'm gonna try my monitors. They're designed to be flat around 85db so it should be enough volume to get a decent sound that translates in a band.

I only use studio monitors now. I’ve tried power amp and cab, but didn’t care for it. I feel similarly to the OP, in which things just don’t quite sound right through a real cab/amp in the room situation. I’d like to try a larger FRFR solution down the road. My only experience with FRFR was with the Headrush 112, which I liked, but I’m sure there are better options.

Lol. Sorry. I have the same setup you do. I just run out to the EV and the board and I'm good. Sounds great and easier on the back than an extra cab and power amp.

I like the jokes no worries 😁

I'm all about carrying less. Even my 2x12 mesa cab is like a million pounds so i'd rather leave it at home.

Back
Top Bottom