Monitoring AXE and Vocals... same wedge?

Pinkycramps

Experienced
Quick question:

For the FRFR guys who go direct to FOH with the AXE and just use a wedge on stage, Are you monitoring your vocals and/or other stage sounds through your FRFR wedge (Atomic, Xitone or whatever your using) or are you using a separate monitor for that?

Thanks.

Most venues that provide monitors won't let you put vocals through a speaker you bring, at least in my experience. They want to control the stage volume to prevent feedback.

So that leaves just guitar in the speaker I bring.

Separate
But I guess I can use my FR monitor as well.

If you're thinking of using a splitter for your mic (1 goes to FOH, one to your monitor), you need to have a FR monitor that can handle mic signals (as opposed to line). If it doesn't, you need to put a mic preamp or mixer in-between.

Ahh.... good points. I figured it would be separate in clubs with a PA. Some clubs have a PA and provide monitors for vox, so that makes sense. It's more the small bars where you bring all your own PA that I was thinking about. So you bring 2 monitors?... I guess I was thinking since your using a full range monitor that you could put both through 1 monitor.

What's the difference from running from the Axe to your wedge vs. from the board? I mean, since you have a direct signal to the board anyway, couldn't you just send a monitor mix straight to your wedge from the board? What would the difference be?

It's the small clubs without a PA or with few monitors or few AUX sends, where it comes in handy to have your FR do double duty.

I use a CFR for both, I split my mic line into a mixer in my rack and have full control over my guitar and vox levels. No need for eq, sounds fantastic, better than most vocal wedges I've ever used.

My band run our own PA, and I normally send OUT1 FR/FR to the desk, and send a little bit of guitar back to my monitor along with all the vocals etc. Then OUT2 (without the cab sim) goes to my Matrix & 4x12. However, on more than one occasion, I've forgotten to switch on the Matrix before the gig started, and the signal coming from my monitor was so good it fooled me into thinking my amp & cab were on!

The CLR works great for me for guitar + vocal + band mix.

I will say using the same wedge for vocals and guitar has some slight limitations. If you are singing then you would need to position the speaker and setup the gain before feedback in relationship to the vocal mic. This can limit getting guitar feedback. If your show / style is one where you ride the edge of feedback on your guitar, I would recommend a dedicated speaker for the guitar.

Other than that, the CLR is incredible for general purpose band use. Vocals really cut without having to be excessively cranked up in relation to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom