Monitor Size

TonyD

Hi Guys,
I am looking into which monitors would be best for my current room setup (a decent size room, but Axe is just in the corner with desk). I was thinking 8" monitors, but then after talking to a sales guy, he said that would be too big and that a 7" or 5" would be best. Any input on what your using would be great. I am not looking for high end monitors, I was thinking along the lines of the Yamaha HS8. Or was the sales guy clueless about using the Axe with studio monitors? Thanks!!!!!

Hi TonyD

I have a pair of Yamaha HS80M which look the same as HS8 (I think the HS8 is the new model). I've used them in a small room and also a large room and they performed great. I use them for monitoring and mixing and feel that they give a true representation of the mix. When I first got them I realized how much I had been missing with my previous (cheaper) monitors. They are near field monitors so listening and room positioning are very important. I also have a pair of FBT Verve 12ma that I use for mainly for playing my Axe-FX through and when I want to see what the sound will be like in a live situation. If I only had the Yamaha monitors I would be more than happy.

Tony

back on-topic...

the 8" will be stuffed into a bigger box - [oi!! Clarky.. stay on topic... don't start all that crap]
a bigger box = more bottom end - [OI ! !.. keep it clean ! !]

so yes, generally if you have larger monitors, you'd want to be sitting a little further from them even though they may be near-fields

6" will still have good low end, but not quite as thick as the 8" ones..

right now I have 6", next year I'm upgrading to Mackie 824 [8"] for this very reason

Last edited:
I'd maybe try the smaller ones first. I recently bought hs80's for 400 (used). While I really like them, I think I'd have been satisfied with the hs50's at half the price (used). The 80's sounded awesome in the big finished basement at my parents but now I'm having more trouble in the small 2nd bedroom of my apartment.

Ive been watching this show series on youtube called "Studio Rescue." You might pick up a few things from it...

My .02 as just a live guitarist/ extremely novice recording experience too.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I appreciate it. I would be sitting close to the speakers, so maybe the smaller ones would be better. I'll check out that youtube series too!

I was going to buy 8" Yahama HS80Ms but ended up buying 5". 8" speakers are bigger than you think and won't fit on most desks, so take measurements and choose based on those.

KRK Roket 8"

I like them for my "Axe in the living room" set up, but I did not shop around.

I bought them on the spur of the moment when I picked up a Yamaha Motif XF8 keyboard.

So does anyone know how KRK Roket 8's compare to the rest?

It's not the size of your driver....

But seriously, my near field desktop monitors have 5" drivers and can blow my head off at 1/4 volume. More important is the smoothness of the mids. A lot of the cheap monitors I tried out when I went shopping had really lousy mid-range and consequently guitar sounded like crap through 'em. I ended up spending more.

im not sure of your budget but i'll have to throw the Adam F5/F7s in the mix. Adam is world class monitoring and their F series is reasonably priced. i have the F7 monitors and honestly i couldn't ask for a better pair. i absolutely love them. if you'd rather spend less money the Equator D5 monitors are also fantastic for their size/price.

Something like this should suffice:

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/big-cool-speakers.jpg
View attachment 18097

Sorry, I've got that Friday feeling.......

that's a proper man system
a girlie would never have put that together

looks rather pretty don't ya think

EDIT after further consideration:
you're stood in a speaker store with your girlie..
you say to her [whilst looking at the monitors]
"which do you think is best, the 6" or 8"?"

do ya think she'll reply "you know size matters!!"
or "it's not what ya got, it's how you use it"

never understimate the predictability of insecurity

Last edited:
The space that you have to use it going to dictate the size of the box that will fit. I have a pair of cheep 8" monitors and they will fit on my desk top but I like to stand when I play so I use them as a floor monitor.

Back
Top Bottom