Monitor send in to the the input of an FM ?

Sixstring

Legend!
Has anyone tried this? I have been thinking of getting my own IEM system and incorporating it in to my board. Wondering if it's even a possibility to run a monitor signal to an input 2 or 3 and mix that signal within the FM and send that to the IEM transmitter via a different OP. I have control of my over all mix so I would remove my channel coming from the console in favor of the output signal coming from a separate OP going to the IEM transmitter. Does this make sense?

Yep, makes sense, and works well. I blend the mono monitor send with stereo out from the AX3 or FM9, and send that to my IEMs. One limitation of this approach is the lack of global control over mix levels. Any mix updates you make in the AX won't persist across preset changes, so you'll have to dial them in again on the fly, and remember to save the preset. I set a couple of front panel knobs to control "them" and "me" mix levels.

I've since moved my IEM xmtr out of my AX3 rack for more flexibility with different bands. I'm building out a small 2U case with a rack mount line-level mixer, but I'm leaving the extra blocks required for mixing in my live presets as a backup.

This can easily be done on the Fractal grid, but if you have control over your monitor mix why bother? Just connect your L/R monitor feeds to your IEM transmitter.

Here's how you can set it up on the Fractal grid:

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 9.22.38 AM.png

Last edited:
This can easily be done on the Fractal grid, but if you have control over your monitor mix why bother? Just connect your L/R monitor feeds to your IEM transmitter.

View attachment 137142
I was looking to get a stereo send from the FM! Our PA, stage and aux sends are all mono. So as I understand that block layout OP-1 would be FOH then the monitor send goes to IP 2 then OP 2 would go to the IEM transmitter?

View attachment 137142

I do pretty much exactly this with the outputs swapped and use the ernie ball guitar + headphone cable (IEM volume comes from the out 1 knob, because that's where the headphone amp is tied to). My main output is out 2 via S/PDIF.

I also avoid wireless like the plague.

(Disclaimer: I am not a pro or even gigging guitarist. I take other music things seriously, but guitar is a hobby. I almost exclusively play through IEMs right now.)

I had another thought on this subject! Could there possibly be any electrical issues with running the aux send from the board to the inout of the FM?

I had another thought on this subject! Could there possibly be any electrical issues with running the aux send from the board to the inout of the FM?
no different from sending the aux send to any other gear's input. just set the level out of the board correctly.

no different from sending the aux send to any other gear's input. just set the level out of the board correctly.
Good to know I was just curious to know if it might cause a problem with the FM electrically, humm or otherwise.

What about using OP3 L R for this, I understand that it wouldn't be a balanced signal but would there be any additional noise? Reason being is I frequently use OP-2 to run a Bass guitar to a separate channel to FOH. If I'm going to house the IEM transmitter under the board it would be nice to utilize OP-3 just for the IEM Rx.

Back
Top Bottom