Monitor Choices

Sorry bout your clr. I owned one a few years back when I had my ii rig and it sounded great. Maybe you can look into the new matrix fr series. Theyre supposed to be released before months end and from the specs and videos sound great. Lightweight and priced super fair (under $700 for 10inch and right around 750 for 12 inch) I'll be grabbing one to try out once they're released.

What is the census on the Yamaha HS8. There is a new single for sale locally for $200 and thinking a pair of those might give a decent interpretation of my presets I plan to use live...?

I use two active xitone wedges (stereo) and they sound great. Plus they are built tough and receive a linex coating and can be custom tailored to your specific needs by Mic the owner of the company who is a great guy to work with. (xitone.com) send mic an email

I'm still waiting for my AX8 buy invite. I play live and can't afford to spend a lot of money on monitors (want to run in stereo) right now. I have an opportunity to purchase two Alto TS115's in mint condition for $400 - so I think that is the route I'm going to take for now.

Last edited:
I have an Alto TS112A and a CLR.
I used the Alto for a year before upgrading to the CLR.
CLR is better and my go to box for gigs, but the Alto is surprisingly good and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if my CLR was down for some reason.
You can find the Alesis version of these for $200 on eBay.

had anyone try the new alto ts212?
i'm gonna buy either the alto ts112a or the ts212 before earning money to buy my atomic clr :) but i just want it to ask what speaker sound better with the ax8!!! any advice would be really appreciated!

I'll be using a CLR "neo" once my AX8 is in.

After much reading I ordered it. It seemed to be the right size and weight. I'm scaling down from a huge duel head, 2- 4x12 rig.

The CLR and AX8 to FOH will be a new experience for me. I also wear in-ears.
Just wondering what you feed to your in-ears? Is a cab really necessary with them? I'm looking to go as little gear as possible and the in-ears no cab route if possible.

Keep it coming! Great feedback! (no pun intended!)
I have a K10, and while it has been great for vocals, it's not as good as the other options for the AxeFx. For rehearsal and live with my XL I had been using my RCF or Xitone reliably for quite some time. Recently, I picked up a Power Engine, and it's been great, especially when I want to place it as a more traditional backline (it also has a nice price-point). Now I'm using the AX8 with the PE, and it sounds fantastic. It's a quick (and light) 'grab-and-go' rig for rehearsal and live. Liking it a lot!
musicman77......is the PE really good been checking those out....also is it plenty loud...thanks

The PE is my go-to when I need an on-stage cab, at rehearsal, and I also use it all the time at home. It's easy to carry and transport, plus it really does sound great and plenty loud.

[..] might give a decent interpretation of my presets I plan to use live...?
Whichever speaker you end up with, get the volume up nice and loud - like you would have at a gig - when you are setting up your presets.
Something that sounds fantastic at bedroom volume may not translate very well to a full band situation.

Also, if you can, play along with some backing tracks that include bass and drums (or whatever your band has), as you will need to consider the band sound as a whole, not just your own sound in isolation.

Used to play live with an Alto TS115A for 2+ years. Easily over 150 gigs. Traveled with in in a trailer where it would be knocked around and heavy equipment falling on top of it. Can vouch for the sound and durability of these. I've always prefered the wedge format as I LOVE playing with feedback :) Their new line seem really nice. Also, Line 6 has their PA speakers that kept modeler pedals in mind.

Since I might be waiting a bit for my unit, I thought I might use a bit of my gear stash to buy a monitor. I currently own two QSC K12's now and had thought of using them with the AX8. I play mostly live or band practice situations, no recording.

I have read a lot about the Friedman ASM12 and the Atomic CLR Neo as options. I have also heard mention of RCF?? Not sure I can afford the RCF. I like the wedges for live use.

I can only afford one of the Atomic or Friedman speakers. Will there be a big difference in the Friedman/Atomic over the QSC's? Or should I just hang with the QSC's? Much appreciated in advance!!
I use 2 Yamaha dsr112 (stereo) . It s perfect . In a cheaper way Yamaha dxr12 is very good too . (went to rcf nx12sma , i can live without ...)

Back
Top Bottom