Momentary volume boost via my Midi controller

Jeff B

Inspired
Hey guys! So, here's my dilemma... I'm trying to get my new RJM controller set up and I would like to have a couple things... one is a momentary solo boost button for those moments where you just want that extra volume to lay a quick lead line during a song and the other is a volume inc/dec that saves automatically when switching accordingly, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing these things.

With the boost... I'm looking for just a clean volume boost where I can set a specific amount of dB increase which is activated by the momentary switch. I know in the amp block there are input drive, input trim... then there is the level in the mixer.... then there is a specific Vol/Pan block available. Which setting am I looking to link to the switch and how would one going about doing so?

With the volume inc/dec... this is more for those moments when I just want to get a bit louder in the band mix as a whole. I'm assuming it would have to be a global setting so it affects everything no matter what preset I'm on and I'm assuming that it can be set up to save automatically, as one guy posted in his thread outlining his pedalboard setup with the MFC.

I'd appreciate any help with this. Sorry if these are basic knowledge questions, but this is where I get confused.

While I don't use it, I am pretty sure the incr/decr feature is done with CC#s 35 and 36, but I think that effects only the current preset.

For the boost, you can use a vol/pan block, a null filter or a GEQ set flat with the level boosted post-amp block. How you assign that as a momentary effect is dependant on your midi controller, but I suspect the RJM is capable of doing that.

You will need to define a button (as momentary) that sends the bypass CC# related to the particular block type you choose to use.

For this purpose I have a Filter Block (type:null, level: 5db) at the end of the chain, which I turn ON/OFF with my midicontroller

What is the benefit or difference of using a filter block vs a volume/pan block? Both have a mixer section with a level "knob" that can add dB. Also, what is the "boost" switch in the amp block for, as I can't seem to find a way to set specific dB for it? Shouldn't a boost give us an increase in lead volume?

The effect of the filter vs volume is pretty much the same, just depends on how you want to implement it... ie turn up the level of the vol block, vs switching the filter block on/off, etc...

The Boost in the amp block actually boosts the signal coming into the amp, so it won't just give a clean volume boost... it drives the amp harder.

The filter can also be used to boost specific frequencies, same with the GEQ (or PEQ).

For leads, you might also want to boost the mids (around 650Hz) as well as the overall volume to get a bit more cut in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom