Mom Wants To Play Guitar At 74

Red Solo Cup

Inspired
Wow, I am loving this. Just had a conversation with my 74-year-old mom. She has not played any instrument other than piano when she was 9 or 10. She has asked me to help her find a good acoustic (for very little money) and give her some guitar lessons!! She is left-handed, but challenge accepted anyway!!

Totally cool and I am looking forward to this. Only caveat is that I am going to have to put in some coin to get her a decent beginner's acoustic. She likes this one, so I will do some research on it:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...olk-left-handed-distressed-vintage-brownburst

I believe it will be money well spent for time with mom and the guitar.

Irony: All the yelling at me to turn that noise down when I was learning to play as a teen LOLOL

Well... That is just awesome. Good luck in the search. Take a look at Art & Lutherie, I've found them pretty nice when I've had occasion to pick them up in the past, though I think a little higher priced than the linked Luna. Ibanez Artwood too. 🤘

That's awesome...use it or lose it. Learning to play a guitar is a great way to keep the mind young and active!

I would recommend a Taylor. I picked up this Taylor 110, with a case, for only $500 CDN. It sounds absolutely amazing.

1668193826294.png

The 110 might be a bit too big, so I would say look for a Baby Taylor. When they come up for sale on Marketplace or Kijiji, they don't last long.

Did she play a left-handed piano? Are all the members of the London Philharmonic right-handed?
Nope, so forget about getting a lefty.
Otherwise enjoy paying more, having far fewer options etc for literally no reason whatsoever.
Sorry if that offends anyone...

Our drummer was left-handed, and set his kit up in that backwards fashion. He loved it because it killed off many “sit in” requests. When he took up guitar, he learned right handed and plays fine. It’s a good option as she starts.

Either way, congratulations and kudos to her!

I teach guitar to a few students who are close to 70. Another vote for a right handed, nylon string guitar.
It will be easier on her hands and fingers. Then do an upgrade to a steel string.

Back
Top Bottom