Moke's (Quantum) 'Eruption' Preset

Moke

Axe-Master
Vendor
Ok, I've spent a little time with 'Quantum 1.00'. Checking out new stuff and re-adjusting presets.

Had a few requests in various threads and PMs for an updated 'Eruption' preset. This is the first try.....

Made for FRFR with my 'Ernie Ball' 'Axis' guitar. Stock humbucker pickups. It uses the 'Brit 800' amp model with a mod to the Master Volume location (got that one from Cliff). A 'Tone Matched' IR (included with the download) in the Cab block. And the same 'Scene Controllers' controlling multiple parameters in multiple blocks to achieve the 'Dive Bomb' effect at the end.

I use the 'Pitch' block at the beginning of the signal chain (with 'ADSR 1' very quickly controlling the 'Mix' parameter during the initial pick attack to help disguise some of the latency) to drop my standard tuned guitar down a 1/2 step. If you are already tuned down, just hate the 'Pitch' block, or just want to stay in standard tuning, replace the 'Pitch' block with a 'shunt'.

Scene #1....rhythm parts of 'You Really Got Me'
Scene #2....the first section of 'Eruption'
Scene #3....the next section of 'Eruption' with phaser on (and the solo in 'You Really Got Me')
Scene #4....starts the feedback loop.
Scene #5....dives it down and fades it out.

First time exporting a 'Preset/Cab Bundle'............Let me know if the download works? And if the preset sounds OK in other setups?.....Haven't tried it live yet, but is sounds similar/better than the older version on my Equator D5's.

(Since it has a 'Tone Matched' IR in it, I also posted this in the "Tone Match' section of the forum)

EDIT: Now available in the store.
http://www.custompresets.com/

Last edited:
Ok....downloaded it, Imported it with Axe-edit, Saved it, Axe-edit asks you to pick a location for the 'Preset' and the 'Cab IR'. 'Preset/Cab Bundle' works like a charm...........Thanks 'Fractal'.

It loaded up just fine on my XL .... Sounds good through headphones too. No one's up here in my house yet, so that's all I can use until later ....

I like it too. It's really bright ( but so's Eddie's base tone ) !

And I usually don't have very good results w/ Tone Match IR's either .... 'cause they typically sound too thin since most tone matched material is AFTER all of the studio trickery ....

But, that's just me ....

It loaded up just fine on my XL .... Sounds good through headphones too. No one's up here in my house yet, so that's all I can use until later ....

I like it too. It's really bright ( but so's Eddie's base tone ) !

And I usually don't have very good results w/ Tone Match IR's either .... 'cause they typically sound too thin since most tone matched material is AFTER all of the studio trickery ....

But, that's just me ....

Maybe just block some of the highs in the cab block?

I don't usually get good results from the 'Tone Match' block when acting as the 'Cab IR' by itself. The IR in this preset is actually a combination of 'factory' and free IRs as the base tone. I tweak by ear to get it close, then I 'Tone Match' it with the cab blocks active and export that final 'Corrective EQ' (Tone Match) as a user cab. Then in a 'Series IR Mixer' preset that I made (never bought 'Cab Lab'), I load the base tone IRs and the 'Tone Match' IR (in series) and re-Tone Match it. Export that as the final IR, and select the new 'Final' IR in the Cab block and delete the 'Tone Match' block in the preset.

Newest Axe-edit?

Yeah Moke I had everything up to date, but I just re-installed Quantum & Axe Edit & everything is fine now! Who knows what the issue was......shit happens! lol

Preset is great! I adjusted the highs in the cab block & put the low cut back to zero.
I also had to put presence in the amp block pretty much to zero. I'm using a Frankenstein ash guitar with an early 80's JB in the bridge.

The effects you dialed in sound great! I get a total Eruption vibe jamming on this!

Thanks Moke & feel free to share more of your knowledge & presets! lol

Maybe just block some of the highs in the cab block?

I don't usually get good results from the 'Tone Match' block when acting as the 'Cab IR' by itself. The IR in this preset is actually a combination of 'factory' and free IRs as the base tone. I tweak by ear to get it close, then I 'Tone Match' it with the cab blocks active and export that final 'Corrective EQ' (Tone Match) as a user cab. Then in a 'Series IR Mixer' preset that I made (never bought 'Cab Lab'), I load the base tone IRs and the 'Tone Match' IR (in series) and re-Tone Match it. Export that as the final IR, and select the new 'Final' IR in the Cab block and delete the 'Tone Match' block in the preset.

I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong here at all ..., in fact ..., I'm guessing it sounds exactly as you've intended it too .... It's just a little brighter than I'd dial in for my own personal taste.

And I know exactly what you mean as you go through the description of your TM "process" .... When used as a stand alone block tone matching is pretty much un-usable for me. Again, not because it's not completely accurate, but more likely because it is .... The only time I'm able to use a present that's "tone matched" is when I ( or someone else ) has taken the time to combine the tone match w/ the IR in a Cab block !

In fact, quite a few Firmwares ago, when Pete Thorn TM'ed his SL67 and BE100 for us .... I downloaded his preset and had better luck just using his Amp settings and selecting a different IR ( defeating his TM altogether ) ....

I've always guessed that my ears just can't adjust to the final "polished" guitar tone ( after Post EQ, Compression, Mastering, etc; ) especially when it's forced to stand alone outside of the mix it was intended for that's all !

THANKS AGAIN for your work on this preset ! It's certainly FUN to play ....

Thanks R.D.

I need to check it out with fresh ears today. I will most likely reduce the high end too, especially for live use...:encouragement:

Anyone want to post some VH clips with this preset? Curious how it sounds on other Axe FXs, guitars, and fingers.

Thanks for sharing Moke! Can't wait to try this out. I love the earlier version you created awhile back and have used it
live on several occasions.

And I know exactly what you mean as you go through the description of your TM "process" .... When used as a stand alone block tone matching is pretty much un-usable for me. Again, not because it's not completely accurate, but more likely because it is .... The only time I'm able to use a present that's "tone matched" is when I ( or someone else ) has taken the time to combine the tone match w/ the IR in a Cab block ! ....

I've never had good results with TM'n either but I never spent a ton of time trying to improve my captures either. But your comment made me think, I bet de-phase would be perfect for TM. I may have to do some experimenting this weekend!

Damn! That just may be the best Van Halen preset I've ever tried. It nails Eruption, but works well for a whole load of early VH. I just tried it with a telecaster in headphones and it's already blowing me away...and I never really dig playing with headphones. With the improved feel of Quantum, this is just off the charts good. Love the dive bomb effect, but can't really do the scene transition easily as I don't currently have a foot controller hooked up....just using Axe Edit at the moment. Need to head down to the basement now to grab a guitar with a floyd that's better setup for this and already tuned to E-flat with lighter strings. The pitch block down tuning is good, but nothing beats real down tuning.

Thanks for this inspiring preset!

Damn! That just may be the best Van Halen preset I've ever tried. It nails Eruption, but works well for a whole load of early VH. I just tried it with a telecaster in headphones and it's already blowing me away...and I never really dig playing with headphones. With the improved feel of Quantum, this is just off the charts good. Love the dive bomb effect, but can't really do the scene transition easily as I don't currently have a foot controller hooked up....just using Axe Edit at the moment. Need to head down to the basement now to grab a guitar with a floyd that's better setup for this and already tuned to E-flat with lighter strings. The pitch block down tuning is good, but nothing beats real down tuning.

Thanks for this inspiring preset!

Thanks mitch.............It is much better with an Eb tuned guitar and the 'Pitch' block gone.

Back
Top Bottom