Mojotone Sledgehammer Pickup = Aftermath + Warpig :)

rsf1977_again

Power User
So I recently got turned on to Mojotone pickups. I never heard much about them as far as modern high gain stuff goes, but stop the presses. The Sledgehammer is the best damn pickup I've ever heard for drop-tuned metal! I mean ever!!! It's literally like someone took a Bare Kuckles Warpig and gave it the tightness of an Aftermath with even more harmonics. It's huge! I've played a ton of the high gain pups that have made the rounds, but this blew me away. How the hell isn't this pickup being talked up everywhere. Can you tell I'm excited haha?

Check this demo, and frankly the lows are much deeper then this vid would lead you to believe.

"Sledgehammer" Humbucker Pickup

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommend! I'd been eyeing up new high-gain pups. How's the clarity?

I tried Black Hawks not long ago and didn't actually like them since they felt like loud low-output pickups rather than high-output pickups... Weird experience!

they are super clear. Almost too clear. They have an Alnico 8 magnet in them. I guess from their description it gives the pickups a super tight sound without having that ceramic vibe. Terrible description I know haha

they are super clear. Almost too clear. They have an Alnico 8 magnet in them. I guess from their description it gives the pickups a super tight sound without having that ceramic vibe. Terrible description I know haha

Haha, no worries. Sounds good!
The only A8 mags I'm familiar with I didn't actually like, but I'm enjoying the bite Fluff gets in that vid, although I'd EQ it differently and use a superior modeler if it was up to me ;)

Thanks_again, rsf1977_again!

I've messed with A8 mags in other pickups and had a SD alt8 for a while

I liked it for a bit but there is somehting in the mids of them that once you hear you cant unhear. like a cocked wah thing

i'll see if it comes out after a while, but this pup sounds really even and has a really even response across the strings

necrobump - I was googling for ways to help describe the Sledgehammer to a pal looking at A8 pups and saw this thread.

I'll agree that the description on the Mojotone site is a little different than how the Sledgehammer actually sounds. it's why I didn't really try it until this past Fall.

based on my experiences with the Aftermath and the Warpig, I can see where the OP is coming from, but I'm more on-board with the super clear clarity comment.

from my experiences, most (not all, but most) pickups that are designed with an A8 in mind seem to sound a LOT better than an existing design where an end user shoves an A8 in there. it can easily be a little bit much, sounding overly saturated and leading to ear fatigue (in my opinion).

I do also agree that the Sledgehammer should be talked about more. for that matter, Mojotone doesn't have the same huge catalog of humbucker pickups that some of the big companies have, but I've had positive experiences with the ones I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom