Modern country tones

Secret80'sMan

Experienced
Am recording and helping to write some stuff along the lines of the crop of modern country guys. What amps and cabs in the axe fx can you guys recommend for both the dirty tones and cleanish/grit tones being used today.

I am on fw14 with basic cabs that came with the axe.

Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks in advance!

AC-20 DLX models (Morgans) or the Mr Z's paired with the Blue or Silver IRs (or mix Blue and Silver). Any of the Vox'ish amps work well, especially with a Tele. There are regular and Ultrares Blue and Silver IRs - scroll down a little on the Wiki Cab page for a list of Blue & Silver IRs.

Cab: all models - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Last edited:
Check out some rig rundowns on premier guitar. They have Keith Urban, Jason Aldean's band on there. Modern country encompasses a wide variety of tones nowadays. From tele twang to heavy rock. Even Aldean's guys use EVH and Peavey amps.

I'm glad you posted this, I'm currently working on a track where I would like to add filler leads. I'm having a hard time narrowing down a tone i like. I made a preset but for some reason, the dynamics are very sensitive. Any one have any suggestions.

...in my experience with recording/engineering lots of country bands, its actually the guitar that makes the differnce rather than the amp.
a nice vintage tele for grit is perfect, or a Hot Tele (nocaster) for Leads is hard to beat, the amp just becomes the tool in the background..

Thanks so much guys. Lots of helpful advice. Took a little from everyone's posts and got some decent things working. I also heard Gretsch with Filter torn pickups is a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom