Moderate level guitarist review

Received my Axe FXIII today and I just want to say that this thing is everything that I wanted it to be. I’ve owned some quality guitars but never really any quality amps or effects before. Using modelers like the pod hd500x, peavey revalver, and briefly the helix native plugin was the only experience I had. I’ve never been satisfied with the tone or the “feel” of playing my guitar through them and I often added excessive reverb and gain to mask the subpar sounds I would get. I’ve always wanted to buy a high end amp but my music genre interests were too broad to really be happy with just one or two amps (limited space and budget). I noticed that many of my favorite guitarists started using Axe FXII’s over the past few years so I decided a few years ago that I would wait until the III came out to take the plunge.

Long story short... it is here now and my guitar sounds like I’ve always it to. It fits all my needs perfectly. I spent $2.5k, but I feel like I have $20k worth of gear that I will use now. Am I on a honeymoon period? Probably... But what is wrong with feeling like you have great tone for the first time ever? I always felt like I forced myself to be satisfied with sounds I could get before. Now I just feel free to play unhindered.

There are so many pro level guitarists on this forum that I thought some non-pro lurking the forum might also like to hear a non-pro review. I’ll post a follow up review in maybe a year from now.

Last edited:
Getting the AxeFX for me resulted in a freedom from worrying if my gear sounded good. I totally agree that having great pro players contribute to the forum makes it that much better.

Glad to hear it man. Can I ask how you're monitoring, and if the same as you've used in the past with Helix native, etc.

Glad to hear it man. Can I ask how you're monitoring, and if the same as you've used in the past with Helix native, etc.
For all 3 of the systems mentioned, I have been monitoring through the same set if in ear monitors SE846 as well as out to a pair of hifi "audiophile" full range speakers. google "magnepan mmg". They basically throw a wall of sound at you making it sound like you are at a concert. I'm actually going to post about my setup to see if others have done anything similar.
To be honest, my helix native experience was extremely short lived. I used their trial and gave up after a week. I don't know what it was, but I could not get it to sound right to me and even if I could, I could feel the latency and couldn't find a solution to remove it.

Spiffychee, your experience is really similar to my own. I also spent years with pedals and tube amps and Pods. I got some great tones from the old analog gear but it was never portable or easy to switch sounds on the fly. i wasted thousands of dollars chasing tone and not playing. An initial investment of $1800(Axe2) or $2500(Axe3) seems like a huge leap of faith risk. But if I could go back in time and gotten on board with the Axe2 when it was new I’d be a much better guitar player today. The AxeFX cured me of GAS and it sounds good enough to inspire me to get lost in playing. I have a HelixLT while I wait for my Axe3 and its OK but just missing something. And the PC sound card VST stuff is OK but like you I can feel the latency or something. And I’m not carrying a PC rig over to a jam.

Moderate level guitarist here too, been that way for too long.... I’m coming from a different angle though. I’ve always had (except for the boogie years) great rigs. I still have a bunch, but fractal makes the first product that can stand up to the comparison for me. It can be easier in a lot of ways, and harder in others. I’ve never had a problem with modeling, I’ve had a few before. Still have a zoom b3 for bass that works pretty well.
I had the AX8 for quite a while and loved its versatility and quality. I looked at the xl+, but really didn’t like the pedal board options. As cool as they were, the programming time added to the setup of the axe pushed me to the AX8. Looking forward to the new controllers having the same integration in axe edit! By the time they arrive, I might have a few presets put together..... I’m pretty slow at figuring out what I want

Another moderate level guitarist here. I've been rocking the II XL for 3+ years (will eventually get a III, in due time) and I'm happy to report that the honeymoon period never ends. At least it hasn't for me. I don't think I've ever been more satisfied with a piece of gear. Welcome, and cheers to many years of inspiration!

Am I on a honeymoon period? Probably...

You don't get just 1 "honeymoon period" with the AxeFX. You will adore it until you begin to question if it's really as good as you think, you'll probably get an amp down the road and come to the conclusion that you enjoy working with a real amp and it's "better" than the axe, and then you'll come back, and it's a brand new honeymoon. Only thing is, after spending a lot of time with the Axe, you will have learned better ways to manipulate tube amps to get what you want out of them. I was a "tube snob" for ages, and didn't think any iteration of modeling would satisfy me, then came Ed Degenaro's clips on harmony central, and I was hooked. This box has taught me more than most people forget about amps... I always make the joke that I never knew much about tube rigs until I went completely solid state, lol.

google "magnepan mmg".

You have GREAT taste sir. I will end up with a pair of these and or the Martin Logan electrostatic speakers someday. I've never heard such natural high end out of anything else... and the warmth while still being "crisp" and not rolled off or dark by anymeans... just amazing!

Well, I have a II, not a III, but I'm honestly not even a moderate level player. I'm a hack! A happy hack with far more good gear and guitars than I can justify based on my playing skill. Oh, mechanically I'm a passable player but I have no repertoire. I learn songs and don't retain them in memory unless I play them almost every day. And my practice habits...let's just say they could be much, much, much, much better. But I build my own guitars, and have been doing so for 30 years. (www.matthewsguitars.com is my site) I have three Mesa/Boogie amps in addition to the Axe-FX II, (SOB, Mark III, Studio .23) and my first modelling amp, a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro which is a toy compared to the Fractal but it's a fun toy that does get some cool sounds in its own right. (Its modded high gain british model is actually pretty darned impressive. That's quite a big sound!)

With all that gear I am not frustrated for a lack of tonal options. I do not feel overwhelmed or outclassed by ANY of this gear, either. I do not think I am over-equipped or that I over-bought.

So, what I'm saying is, who cares if you consider yourself to be only a moderate level player? Have the gear you like and that you're willing to spend the money for and have no regrets about it.

I promise you, I'm not done buying amps yet! While I want to get an Axe-FX III at some point, I also want to add a Friedman HBE 100 to my pile and a Mesa Mark V, too. And a Mesa single recto. (I like those better than the dual or triple versions.) A Fractal does not REPLACE other amps, it simply allows you to have all the tones of the others that you haven't bought yet!

Yeah it is really interesting how satisfying electric guitar playing is with the proper equipment. Had I known this 10 years ago, I would have made the amp more of a priority than the guitars and I would have ended up practicing a lot more. Unfortunately I had a tight budget. Weirdly enough every single other guitar amp modeler I bough plagued me with almost instant buyers remorse. They just never sounded good to me. I bought them to save money but ended up wasting money by trying to save money. I forced myself to be happy and ended up not enjoying playing. The fractal is expensive and should only be purchased by a guitarist that intends to play guitar for the next 10 years, but I think anyone that is confident they will continue playing must consider the Axe FXIII. It has changed my life and I’ve never bought something this expensive (other than my house) with less buyer’s regret.

I’m fully confident that the fractal was the best value possible for my needs by a huge margin. And the portability versus lots of other amps is incredible. I have limited space and I’m happy not owning any other amps but the fractal and my full range studio monitors and hifi speakers. Technology has always been awesome but this is really a historic point in history for guitar players. Honestly I think the Axe FXIII will bring out a whole new breed of guitar players even beyond what the II did. I’m gonna utilize the multiple channel processing to play with my kids as well if they want to learn. The potential is ridiculous.

As a last note I can safely say I would not have been happy with the ax8 or even II. I’m utilizing 80% to 90% for my ambient patches and I don’t want to reduce anything. The tiny amount of headroom still makes me feel like I can do anything and it is awesome. Don’t skip out on the III because of the size. In one trip I can carry my guitar bag with two pedals and a small midi controller in one hand and my rack case in the other (with the cables in it). The only thing more portable would be a guitar with the Axe FXIII built in and I wouldn’t buy that because I like compact lightweight guitars.

Well, I have a II, not a III, but I'm honestly not even a moderate level player. I'm a hack! A happy hack with far more good gear and guitars than I can justify based on my playing skill. Oh, mechanically I'm a passable player but I have no repertoire. I learn songs and don't retain them in memory unless I play them almost every day. And my practice habits...let's just say they could be much, much, much, much better. But I build my own guitars, and have been doing so for 30 years. (www.matthewsguitars.com is my site) I have three Mesa/Boogie amps in addition to the Axe-FX II, (SOB, Mark III, Studio .23) and my first modelling amp, a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro which is a toy compared to the Fractal but it's a fun toy that does get some cool sounds in its own right. (Its modded high gain british model is actually pretty darned impressive. That's quite a big sound!)

I promise you, I'm not done buying amps yet! While I want to get an Axe-FX III at some point, I also want to add a Friedman HBE 100 to my pile and a Mesa Mark V, too. And a Mesa single recto. (I like those better than the dual or triple versions.) A Fractal does not REPLACE other amps, it simply allows you to have all the tones of the others that you haven't bought yet!

Long story short... it is here now and my guitar sounds like I’ve always it to. It fits all my needs perfectly. I spent $2.5k, but I feel like I have $20k worth of gear that I will use now. Am I on a honeymoon period? Probably... But what is wrong with feeling like you have great tone for the first time ever? I always felt like I forced myself to be satisfied with sounds I could get before. Now I just feel free to play unhindered.

There are so many pro level guitarists on this forum that I thought some non-pro lurking the forum might also like to hear a non-pro review. I’ll post a follow up review in maybe a year from now.

I felt the same way when I first fired up the Fractal (many years ago.)

It really just gets better. If you get bored with a tone, just turn a few knobs and you have a brand spankin' new rig. For good or bad, your tone is COMPLETELY in your hands. If it sounds crappy, it's on you...but if it sounds glorious...that's on you too!

Most of us are not pro-level guitarists. Hobbyists and hackers, weekend warriors and doctors of various skill level. You're in the right place.

Just think: You just bought the last amp you will have for a long time.

R

Just think: You just bought the last amp you will have for a long time.

R

:confused:

If only!

Since I got my Fractal, the following other amps have come into my life. The Fractal is a gateway drug!

Mesa/Boogie Mark III Simulclass with reverb and EQ
Mesa/Boogie Studio .22
Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier Solo Head

All three needed some variety of work done. Fortunately I just happen to be an electronic technician.
The Mark III needed recapping and a couple of tubes.

The .22 needed recapping and a couple of tubes and got a mod to remove the internal reverb tank (inside the chassis) and it now sports a full sized reverb tank plus greatly improved fan cooling in the chassis.

The Triple Rectum Fryer had switching issues and needs new caps based on date code. Any caps older than 10 years old get replaced by default.

Now I have a real live basis for comparison between certain models in the Fractal and the real thing.

I have no objection to collecting amps, either. :)

Back
Top Bottom