Model Similar to Friedman IR-X Ch1?

Kfletch

I’ve picked up an IR-X and I really like the tones in it. Especially Channel 1 (the “plexi” channel) with an edge of breakup tone. I’ve been trying to find a model to match in the FM9 but struggling a little bit. There’s a lot of Marshall and Friedman models but haven’t settled on one yet. Closest I got was the JTM45 model but it doesn’t breakup in the same way. A lot of the plexi models end up breaking up more than I would like and when I adjust them to that edge of breakup sound a little thin. I probably could get there with a lot of eq adjustments and advanced parameters…

Was wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Of the plexi models, I prefer the 1959SLP Jumped. To me that is the fattest of the thin amps. Also, abut 60% of your tone will be the IR. I use greenback models. You might try that with R121 microphones for more girth.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 6.58.29 AM.png

I would start by using the same cab/IR setup for both. Add a Fractal amp model and the IR-X in a loop in series, and disable the IR-X's cab sim. Then directly after the loop & amp model put a Fractal cab block. Then you can use scenes to switch between the Fractal amp model and the IR-X, both running into the same cab block. That way you're comparing amp to amp and controlling for the cab/mic which constitutes a huge percentage of the overall sound. The combinations in Elvis's post above are a good start, or the dynacabs 1960TV cab with a 57+121 since those mics are what was used on the Friedman cab in the IR-X.

If you want to take it a step further, put a looper block before the amps and record some dry guitar into it, then loop it and start dialing in the Fractal amp. This ensures your dry takes are identical on both as well.

Scene for IR-X:

2023-12-07 09_45_48-FM9-Edit.png

Scene for Amp model:

2023-12-07 09_47_22-FM9-Edit.png

Last edited:
What @strabes said is wisdom. It will also make matching the pieces easier. IMHO the IR is the more important piece than the exact amp settings.

Thanks for the direction everyone! I’ve got some work to do but it sounds like fun. Excited to try these techniques.

My fav IR is the legacy cab 103 basketweave TV mix. (Not at home to check for sure). I had emailed Fractal to see if I could purchase that IR for use on other devices because it seems just to work for everything for me. Couldn’t tell for sure where that one came from or if it’s available in a cab pack but I’ll reach to fractal again.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the direction everyone! I’ve got some work to do but it sounds like fun. Excited to try these techniques.

My fav IR is the legacy cab 103 basketweave TV mix. (Not at home to check for sure). I had emailed Fractal to see if I could purchase that IR for use on other devices because it seems just to work for everything for me. Couldn’t tell for sure where that one came from or if it’s available in a cab pack but I’ll reach to fractal again.

Thanks!!
Fair, and probably it works very well for you. I do recommend A/B with others, though, as I have found many IRs that sound very good but do have odd artifacts that are noticeable when comparing. The IR does also very much affect dynamics. The CAB block is fantastic for comparisons, as you can put alternative cabs on different channels and click back and forth.

My fav IR is the legacy cab 103 basketweave TV mix. (Not at home to check for sure). I had emailed Fractal to see if I could purchase that IR for use on other devices because it seems just to work for everything for me.
You can always make your own .wav IR of it with MLS Tool. Make a preset with just a cab block with that IR loaded up and any EQ or mic preamp stuff disabled, and capture it with MLS Tool. I've done this many times to combine 57+121 IRs to save DSP since I primarily run two amps hard panned.

Last edited:
I own this pack. It is a great 4x12 sound and I too love the 103.
Never tried to match them, but if you like one, you'll like the other I'd wager.

Back
Top Bottom