ML Soundlab Class-A cab pack test

shaunb

Experienced
I got my grubby hands on Cab Pack 18 and had bit of a play today.
I don't usually play this style so the performance is a little rough but I wanted to see what sort thing I'd come up with using this amp and Mikko's IRs.

Amp: CLASS-A 30W TB

Left IR: ML Class-A E906-MD421 04
Right IR: ML Class-A SM57-R121 05
Additional melodies: ML Class-A SM57-MD421 01

Bass cab is Cab Pack 11 as well.

Oh yes! I've been waiting for the ML Class-A clips to surface to show the capabilities. It's always a good sign when you listen to a song and it just takes your mind to a different state that's almost like meditation. It went a bit deep for me. I started thinking why "young people" don't like real music anymore. This is what I want to hear on the radio. It doesn't even need to have vocals, just something genuine, authentic and real. Sometimes I don't feel like this is a modeling forum at all. :)

I've been using these IR's way more than I originally thought. Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for vintage gear but I'm a modern 4x12 alternative rock guy deep down. However I'm currently the vocalist in CKJ so I only play guitar in another project that's more like 90s Incubus, Foo Fighters, Weezer? U2 maybe even? Anyways this pack fits perfectly into that genre and that's a big change for a 4x12 purist like myself. :) The EQ balance is very comparable to a 4x12. I rarely use small sounding IR's for main rhythms because driven sounds can become really harsh that way. Not the case here, this pack sounds huge, glassy and sits in a mix perfectly. It really gives bass it's own space like in this awesome clip by Shaun. :) Thanks dude! Cab Pack 11 is cutting through with those lower focus frequencies around 1100hz and lower than a 100hz. Nice combination.

I did the ML magic for this very rare combo amp. (based on a 1964 Vox™ 2x12 AC30® Top Boost with original Alnico Blue speakers) All these firmware updates are taking us closer and closer to the real amps and at this point I personally feel like the amp modeling is not the weakest link. Some amps like Class-A amps are meant to sound a specific way through the right speakers. You need old speakers driven by the actual power amp of that combo to make the amp sims sound like an old combo. You need a clean capture to keep things as authentic as the Axe-Fx modeling that Cliff has been able to create. And most importantly you need the right microphone positions.

Wow this turned into a long post but cut me some slack... the forum has been down. :D

Cheers guys.
I have a habit of putting percussive guitar parts into songs, especially moody ones, that's probably where the meditative vibe comes from.
I just fiddled around for a bit to get a sound that seemed good and then this just came together based on the mood I got from this vintage kind of tone.

Funny how I tend to go dark, moody or contemplative with mellow pieces, I don't really write happy soft songs.
I enjoy the the layering and textures you can put into these kinds of songs to build tension or just shift the mood a bit.

Well done on the pack Mikko, I'm really enjoying it.

Okay. I'm getting this pack today. That's it. So many amazing sounding clips. Exactly what I want to hear. Really nice song. Sounds great. Thanks for taking the time to make this and post it for us all to enjoy.

Okay. I'm getting this pack today. That's it. So many amazing sounding clips. Exactly what I want to hear. Really nice song. Sounds great. Thanks for taking the time to make this and post it for us all to enjoy.
I'm glad to hear that! Let the pack inspire you to write something new. The best riffs always appear when you have something completely new to play with. :) And I'd definitely like to hear what you come up with.

Cheers guys, I had fun on this one.
I don't do much with the Class-A amps but I really love them now.

I actually had the delay set for something else and stumbled across this picking pattern that had a bouncy interplay with the echo, the whole song sprung from that as well as the lovely vintage tone.

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words.

The only problem I have with it is deciding on which IR to use, they are all really good.
Not a bad problem to have.

Have fun, you're going to love it.

Last edited:
I've not used it yet. I need to. Hoping for some guitar time tomorrow.

Thanks Mikko!
Yeah it's definitely a huge time saver and IR slot saver. I noticed early on that there's no way my IR's fit in this box so it's more like a top 100 IR list for me.

Cab-Lab 3 browse live mode is what I yse personally. IMO it's essential these days. :)

Back
Top Bottom