Mixing in Mono makes your Stereo mix better!

one thing you didn't mention, is that if you have a very full mix with lots of instruments, collapsing to mono and then panning an individual instrument across the stereo field (which you won't hear because the mix is in mono) can help you find the sweet spot where that instrument is not clashing (frequency wise) with anything else. when you hit a good spot, the instrument will jump out of the mix at you.

one thing you didn't mention, is that if you have a very full mix with lots of instruments, collapsing to mono and then panning an individual instrument across the stereo field (which you won't hear because the mix is in mono) can help you find the sweet spot where that instrument is not clashing (frequency wise) with anything else. when you hit a good spot, the instrument will jump out of the mix at you.

When I was doing a large amount of mixing professionally on a large format desk, I diligently referenced the mono mix regularly. This little tip would have been very useful then. Cheers, Simeon.

hmmm... i guess i'll have to try with something in my own DAW as i don't hear too much difference in the vid.

When I was doing a large amount of mixing professionally on a large format desk, I diligently referenced the mono mix regularly. This little tip would have been very useful then. Cheers, Simeon.

I hope others can pick the tip up early then!!! :D

hmmm... i guess i'll have to try with something in my own DAW as i don't hear too much difference in the vid.

Really? Listen to the bass guitar depth in the lower freqs and the highs / presence in the cymbals, they open up more and gain more clarity! Let me know :D The cut in the mids is really quite substantial (around the 400hz mark).

That's a great tip! Never thought about it because I only ever mix my own stuff atm, which is all metal :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom