Mixing Drums for Rock & Metal / FAS Modern + ML Zilla

progmachine

Inspired
Hey guys!

This isn't the most on topic post I've made, but I've had a lot of comments on my drum sounds in particular and I figured I could share my tutorial video I did on that subject. The full mixes you hear in the video are Axe FX II with FAS Modern & ML Zilla as well. I hope this is helpful to some people! Cheers!

Thank you for sharing this.. just this morning I started a new project using the "deluxe" drums from SSD (Those are said to be more raw with not much processing done to them) to see how I can do with out the heavy processing slate drums have. They make mixing easier but as my other mixing skills have improved I'm curious to see I can apply that to drums. I'm going to try your tactis here in my new project.

Thank you for sharing this.. just this morning I started a new project using the "deluxe" drums from SSD (Those are said to be more raw with not much processing done to them) to see how I can do with out the heavy processing slate drums have. They make mixing easier but as my other mixing skills have improved I'm curious to see I can apply that to drums. I'm going to try your tactis here in my new project.
if im doing anything serious ill use the deluxe samples just because it feels more like a raw drumkit I can carve a sound out of. im always curious to see how others process em, definitely put something up when you get the chance

Very clear and easy to understand! I hope a lot of beginners stumble upon your channel :) Thanks for the introduction to Get Good drums, think I'll be adding it to the never ending extensive list of 'Software to purchase'
so much software to buy.. my poor bank account

one of the better drum tutorials out there! I do mines sorta like this, only I route everything from get good drums to a bus, eg tom, snare, kick bus, where I put all my actual plug ins on. I then send the buses to a parallel and verb drums bus. I do my natural drums like this too and it works out great.

@Johnnyh64 Haha I'm by no means a master but thank you! I'd be happy to go over my bass sounds. I'm planning on turning this into a regular segment of tutorials. It depends on if people want more "dialing in" tutorials or mixing / signal processing fundamentals.

Really cool video! Thanks for sharing. I need to pickup GGD's Halpern drums. This just helped me want to pull the trigger! :)
Thanks again for showing the mixing stage. Very cool!

Jesus christ! This was probably the most informed I've ever been on drum mixing. I just went through this vid today and applied it to a mix im working on now. The difference is hilarious.

Before:

After:

Im using Superior Drummer with the Prog Foundry kit. Still got some tweaks in some areas but this jumped me forward in the right direction. Thanks a lot!

Holy shit!!! That sounded phenomenal!

Could you tell a bit more about guitars. Just straight out the Axe Fx? And i am so exited about your drum mix that i might buy those samples also! Just wondering how they would sit in the mix with bit faster tempo, i mean how blast beats and double bass roll sound with this particular drum sampler, i would be so happy if you could make a short clip :D Definetly a perfect djent tones right here!

@StormBlåst cool dude thanks for watching!! I'm down to make a tutorial on dialing in rhythm tones. And those samples are great for any context. It's all a matter of how tight or open you make the drums sound.

If you guys want to see more videos like this one by all means subscribe to my Youtube channel; I'm adding a new video every week!

Awesome tones and a super helpful tutorial! Thanks for this. Any chance you could do in to some detail about what your levels were in the kontakt mixer? That's what I'm struggling with most with this pack so far.

@Shredder3386 Thanks! I emphasized the the near room mics and got rid of most of the far room mics. I used quite a lot of the overhead mic for the kick and snare. I turned down the hi-hat close mic quite a bit, and everything else is subjective honestly. The Mixer itself in Konkakt has everything at 0dB then it's routed out to the DAW. hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom