Mixer Recommendations

One thing to bear in mind with a cheap and easy mixer is that the preamps in
it will be colouring everything that goes through them. Might behoove you
to get more than a tiny, mediocre mixer if you have quality in every other part
of your chain.
That was kind of my point about the Mackie. Not killer preamps but I am only monitoring and the line level stuff (guitars, keys, etc) sound fine . The preamps aren't bad on the ones with Onyx preamps. But you are correct for sure.

Also I only record guitars and ocals everything else is mide VSTS. So for me it's perfect. With the Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen all is good!

One thing to bear in mind with a cheap and easy mixer is that the preamps in
it will be colouring everything that goes through them. Might behoove you
to get more than a tiny, mediocre mixer if you have quality in every other part
of your chain.
I think you’re misunderstanding how to use the mixer in this configuration. Take another look at the recording guide. No mixer preamps are used. No mixer is used in the recording signal chain.

In any case, layer8cake is using configuration #5. He’s not using a mixer at all.

Yeah, I wasn't specifically referencing your stellar guide, Glenn. Just speaking in relation to my own setup
with regards to the OP's query.

Sorry for not comprehending better. It's a lifelong struggle. :)

That was kind of my point about the Mackie. Not killer preamps but I am only monitoring and the line level stuff (guitars, keys, etc) sound fine . The preamps aren't bad on the ones with Onyx preamps. But you are correct for sure.

Also I only record guitars and ocals everything else is mide VSTS. So for me it's perfect. With the Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen all is good!
Side question: How different is the 18i20 3rd gen from first gen, and in what ways, if you know?

Asking because I have a first gen.

Side question: How different is the 18i20 3rd gen from first gen, and in what ways, if you know?

Asking because I have a first gen.
Post from the Reaper forums is about the same I read doing research about it. The preamps definitely seem nice- get a good sound with a tube Large Dia. Condenser mic.

Improvements from 1st gen to 3rd gen:

-higher headroom preamps that sound a bit more natural (1st gen preamps had a bit more coloration of a sort which sounded less articulate)
-lower noise floor for inputs and outputs
-instrument high impedance setting works better (less likely to clip when using strong guitar/bass pickups)
-heaphone amp has stronger output (even for USB bus-powered units such as 2i2 which have no adapter input)
-"Air" feature for preamps is interesting...not really necessary but nice to have if your source sounds a bit dark (it's probably just a bit of EQ)

The 3rd gen Scarlett devices are quite good for their sound and functionality.

I think you’re misunderstanding how to use the mixer in this configuration. Take another look at the recording guide. No mixer preamps are used. No mixer is used in the recording signal chain.

In any case, layer8cake is using configuration #5. He’s not using a mixer at all.
You are right, I use the mixer strictly for monitoring-nothing else. Always have. Has nothing to do with the recording of anything.

I'll be the first to admit there is no one configuration that works best for everybody. That's why the recording guide lists so many options and why it mentions there are other options that might work better in particular situations. I absolutely agree there are times where it makes sense to monitor through a DAW. That's why that topic is covered in the recording guide. But, I wouldn't recommend it as a way for Layer8cake to work. There simply aren't any advantages for him to work that way...there are only disadvantages. I'm not saying monitoring through a DAW can't be done. Obviously it can be done, and it sounds like it's a great way for you to work.

P.S. I do performance testing routinely with all the major DAWs. Aside from contrived cases, it's pretty hard to find a distinct performance advantage in Reaper over other DAWs. The fact is performance is dominated by plugins, not the DAW. The threading policy of the DAW can have an impact, but these days I don't see much difference between DAWs.
What do you consider contrived?

And have things really changed that much? Just a few years ago, the difference was that you could use several times as many of the same (non-DSP) plugins in Reaper as anything else before the same computer started giving glitches.

And have things really changed that much? Just a few years ago, the difference was that you could use several times as many of the same (non-DSP) plugins in Reaper as anything else before the same computer started giving glitches.
Reaper is a good daw, it is not the BEST daw. There is NO best daw. . I agree with GlennO.

When Logic first came out with hybrid buffers, that was a distinct difference that gave Logic a performance advantage over other DAWs. But, now almost all DAWs have that feature, as well as pre-rendering, so there's not much performance difference between DAWs. That shouldn't be surprising. The DAW itself has very little to do with performance, mostly just thread balancing. It's the plugins that dominate cpu usage.

I agree that there is no best DAW and that they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But, live processing as fast as possible with plugins appears to be one of Reaper's strengths. Maybe I'm measuring things wrong.

Right now, the low-latency version of my monitoring reaper session (7 armed input tracks in a group, 4 armed tracks as output busses, 14 non-bypassed plugins) uses about the same CPU and literally 1/20 the RAM that a default session (2 unarmed midi tracks, 2 unarmed audio tracks, 2 send/returns, 1 output bus) of Ableton Live 10 with zero plugins (I know it's old...it was the last version I bought and installed), set to use the same AI, so same buffer. It's also stable to just leave running, often for weeks at a time.

Switching from Live to Reaper was not a subtle difference. Of course, Reaper doesn't do everything Live does. The story was basically the same with Pro Tools, but I don't have that anymore because of their stupid subscription-based licensing. WaveLab 11 is almost the same story, except that it's set up to use ReaRoute as its sound card by default because I actually use it.

The point is that my computer isn't particularly new, nor is it HEDT. And it can run Reaper alongside another DAW as a monitor controller. Using any other DAW I've tried with basically the same processing for the monitor controller forces me to use a bigger buffer. Maybe it is just in managing threads and drawing the UI, but at least for me...it works significantly better at that job.

Wondering if I can ask for a little help in this thread please?

I've received a coax SPDIF cable, converter and optical cable.

SPDIF Out -> converter -> optical out -> interface optical in. There is light but I do not appear to be receiving a signal on the interface

Global IO
Clock = SPDIF/AES (no clock)
Digital input src = SPDIF
APDIF/AES Out Source = Out 1
everything else is default

Simple patch connecting input 1 to output 1 (DI) and I get nothing. I don't have a way to check the cables and converter so wanted to check I have it configured correctly on the axefx

Wondering if I can ask for a little help in this thread please?

I've received a coax SPDIF cable, converter and optical cable.

SPDIF Out -> converter -> optical out -> interface optical in. There is light but I do not appear to be receiving a signal on the interface

Global IO
Clock = SPDIF/AES (no clock)
Digital input src = SPDIF
APDIF/AES Out Source = Out 1
everything else is default

Simple patch connecting input 1 to output 1 (DI) and I get nothing. I don't have a way to check the cables and converter so wanted to check I have it configured correctly on the axefx

Is out1 volume turned up? The digital output follows that control.

Other than that, were those settings just for the Axe FX?

Check and make sure that your audio interface can take in S/PDIF on Optical. It's probably ADAT by default, and they're not the same thing.

Is out1 volume turned up? The digital output follows that control.

Other than that, were those settings just for the Axe FX?

Check and make sure that your audio interface can take in S/PDIF on Optical. It's probably ADAT by default, and they're not the same thing.

I've sorted it now. Interface was set to 48khz and SPDIF.

It was the clock setting on the axefx - moving it back to default and I had my ears blasted with white noise. On restarting the interface it's working. Weird and leaves me working out if I will have a clocking issue but at least I have sound!

I'd like bit more flexibility with my home setup. I use a load box and my axefx into an interface and I have a set of monitors.
I have a Presonus StudioLive 16R 1 rack space mixer in my home studio and absolutely love it! It's small and powerful. It sounds great through My 2 Atomic CLR Wedges. The 16R comes with great software to control everything. It can be completely controlled from my Macbook Pro or from an Apple Tablet. It also use Presonus Studio One DAW software.

I wouldn't recommend monitoring through a DAW if at all possible.

First is the latency. Even with a powerful computer, getting the buffer size small enough to be usable can be a challenge if you've got a lot of plugins in use in your project. Even under the best of circumstances though, the latency will be noticeable compared to monitoring direct through an analog mixer. One of the most important features of the Axe-FX is the low latency. It would be a shame to lose that key feature by monitoring through a DAW.

Second is the issue of audio quality. Even modest analog mixers like the ones described in the recording guide have excellent audio quality. Remember, this is just for monitoring. The record signal path does not go through the mixer.

Third is convenience. Monitoring through a DAW would mean turning on the computer, launching your DAW and loading a project suitable for monitoring purposes. That can be a factor in those moments when you want to quickly pick up your guitar and play immediately when inspiration hits.

That's not to say there aren't times where it is appropriate to monitor through a DAW. For example, if you have plugin that you want in your monitoring signal path, then you should monitor through your DAW. That's why there's a section in the recording guide to cover that scenario. But otherwise, there's really no reason to monitor through a DAW. A good mixer for this purpose costs less than $60, so you're not going to save much money by not using a mixer.

P.S. If you look at configurations #3 and #5 in the recording guide, note the mixer and interface are mutually exclusive. You would use one or the other. In other words, if you already have an interface, you can use #5 and there's no need for a mixer.
Sorry Glenn i did not understand... I dont care about recording i just play and if i need i ll use only my fm9 direct usb in garageband ( i m not a pro).. Do you confirm that i only need a mixer rather than an audio interface? (which i already have.. Fm9).. Does the mixer as the mackie you ve talked about avoid any conversion path? Thanks

Sorry Glenn i did not understand... I dont care about recording i just play and if i need i ll use only my fm9 direct usb in garageband ( i m not a pro).. Do you confirm that i only need a mixer rather than an audio interface? (which i already have.. Fm9).. Does the mixer as the mackie you ve talked about avoid any conversion path? Thanks
From what you're saying, it sounds like you don't have a need for an audio interface. You might not even need a mixer. The recording guide outlines a variety of configurations for different situations to help you find and configure the right gear for your needs:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

From what you're saying, it sounds like you don't have a need for an audio interface. You might not even need a mixer. The recording guide outlines a variety of configurations for different situations to help you find and configure the right gear for your needs:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/
I ve downloaded the pdf but i supposed my best configuration was 2 because i didn't want to turn on every time the fm9 just for listening music from my imac trough monitor speakers.. My question is.. A mixer will avoid double conversion?

I ve downloaded the pdf but i supposed my best configuration was 2 because i didn't want to turn on every time the fm9 just for listening music from my imac trough monitor speakers.. My question is.. A mixer will avoid double conversion?
Yes, that's right. Because the mixer is only used for monitoring, there is no extra conversion.

Yes, that's right. Because the mixer is only used for monitoring, there is no extra conversion.
And double conversion always means signal degradation? Or depends on interface quality? And last there is some trick settings on the fm9 to work best having an interface into another? Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom