Mixer gain

marc0810

Inspired
Just curious and I know there will be several different answers…but where do y’all set the input gain on your mixers when playing out. I usually set my axe output 1 knob to about noon. I use the soundcraft ui24r.

If you set your output knobs always to MAX, you are guaranteed to hit FOH and/or your Mixer with the same signal every time. "Noon" may actually be "noon plus/minus a little".
But that can potentially be a very hot signal.

You can use the ADC levels in the global Utility menu to set exact percentages.

Also, these levels are all pretty irrelevant without knowing the level of the actual presets ;)

Just curious and I know there will be several different answers…but where do y’all set the input gain on your mixers when playing out. I usually set my axe output 1 knob to about noon. I use the soundcraft ui24r.
We use a Mackie DL32R and my presets are leveled close to the 0 mark on the Axe Fx VU meters.

Everyone in the band sets Output level at 50% for consistency (we are silent stage, all in-ears).

Then I've gain-staged the mixer channels for input levels from the Fractal devices.

I used to run at Noon, but now run at 3'oclock. I have a piece of painters tape with a mark to line it up with perfectly.
If it matters, I have my rhythm patches at 0 and my lead 1.5db hotter.

There's no need to add any gain from the mic pres because all the current-gen Fractal units can output line level. I set my outputs to line level and turn the knobs all the way up. One less thing to think about and troubleshoot live. Any modern console can handle line level; the stage box you're plugging into probably has "mic/line" printed on it.

There's no need to add any gain from the mic pres because all the current-gen Fractal units can output line level. I set my outputs to line level and turn the knobs all the way up. One less thing to think about and troubleshoot live. Any modern console can handle line level; the stage box you're plugging into probably has "mic/line" printed on it.
no it actually doesn’t because it’s all digital it just has gain amounts

I run at noon on Output 1. It never gets changed or bumped (at least hasn't yet) so our IEM mix has not changed since I got the AFX3. My band was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a change in volume when I switched from my AFX2 to AFX3.

Output 1 is also set to +10dB (I think that's the setting. could be wrong. it's the "10" one, not "4").

I've had the issue of being "too hot" on some systems, but for the most part, running at that volume has come with good signal-to-noise ratio. Still usually catches sound engineers (that haven't mixed us before) off guard despite my warnings when line/sound check occurs.

all the way open, 100%. Would love to remove the knobs altogether because twice already I had to troubleshoot why the board was getting a weak signal and it was that knob both times.

all the way open, 100%. Would love to remove the knobs altogether because twice already I had to troubleshoot why the board was getting a weak signal and it was that knob both times.
I am not having an issue with the fractal knobs…I am merely expressing curiosity of what people set their mixer gain at downstream

I run at noon on Output 1. It never gets changed or bumped (at least hasn't yet) so our IEM mix has not changed since I got the AFX3. My band was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a change in volume when I switched from my AFX2 to AFX3.

Output 1 is also set to +10dB (I think that's the setting. could be wrong. it's the "10" one, not "4").

I've had the issue of being "too hot" on some systems, but for the most part, running at that volume has come with good signal-to-noise ratio. Still usually catches sound engineers (that haven't mixed us before) off guard despite my warnings when line/sound check occurs.
It’s amazing how many “sound engineers” don’t know what line level is.

-10 or +4

That also makes a big difference in overall output level.

I use +4 for our IEM rig.

I'm still not getting the question I guess...I was always told set the faders at unity, and adjust gains to get a rough mix without feedback.

Info about where other guys gains end up will depend a lot on where they set the output from the Axe.

I am merely expressing curiosity of what people set their mixer gain at downstream
I set everything from start to finish @unity gain. My presets are made to fit within that envelope so any sound guy that gets my feed will 'start' @ unity gain on the mixer.

As Unix Guy stated, depending on what output setting the Axe is on (-10 or +4) will have an effect on where the mixer starts at, but any engineer worth their salt will know how to compensate to achieve unity gain in either scenario.

Where the mixer level on the desk ends up from there, entirely depends on what else is happening in the overall mix.

Last edited:
I'm still not getting the question I guess...I was always told set the faders at unity, and adjust gains to get a rough mix without feedback.

Info about where other guys gains end up will depend a lot on where they set the output from the Axe.
While I am familiar with that method and I know it works for some people I am not a fan of it, we do it in one of my bands and to me the mix never sounds good because the guy who does sound for that band (not me) doesn’t actually listen to what it sounds like and to me the guitars always overpower everything else (even with faders at unity)

to me the mix never sounds good because the guy who does sound for that band (not me) doesn’t actually listen to what it sounds like and to me the guitars always overpower everything else (even with faders at unity)
Then get another soundguy.
A soundguy that "doesn't actually listen to what it sounds like", is not a soundguy.

The faders @unity gain on the desk are supposed to be a reference point. The soundguys job is to then mix the instruments to get a balanced mix.

I repeat: Where the fader level on the desk ends up from there (unity gain), entirely depends on what else is happening in the overall mix...at any given time during a performance. Ergo, it doesn't necessarily stay at one level the whole time.

Indeed, a good engineer will instruct the musicians (at least the ones who have some control at their fingertips) to use unity gain as a reference point so he has the best quality signal to work with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom