Mix test (AXE 5150 sim, Randall XL, sm57)

Artean

Inspired
Cheers!

After some struggle with cab impulses I decided to try and mic a real cab for the first time. Signal chain as follows:

Esp Eclipse and Esp Viper (both EMG 81 equiped) - Axe fx 5150 sim (power amp and cab sims off) - real 5150 (effect return input) - Randall XL (v30 speakers) - sm57 (aimed roughly at the edge of the dust cap) - Focusrite Saffire Pro 24

Even though there are lot of room for improvements, I'm quite satisifed given that we had limited time testing mic posttions etc. and that it was our first time trying to mic a real cab. Any comments/suggestions are welcome!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4065951/End Assembly.mp3

No one care to comment? I know that there is a vast room for improvements, but it would sure be great to here your opinions. I suspect there is too much fizz going on and a general lack of mid range. That is how I tend to tweak my tones. But any input on how I could make it better would be appreciated.

Cheers

As simple as it is, id say try some EQ'ing man.

The way I see it is Blending different instruments with each other, Bass will obviously take the lowest frequencies, Drums take a bit of everything, Vocals take the high frequencies, Guitars Naturally Fit in the Midrange Frequency for an overall mix (purely subjective guys!)

Id say try and have a more natural mid-focus with your EQ-ing, also are the guitars compressed at all?

Back
Top Bottom