Mix on delay/reverb

kavevester

Inspired
Struggling with the balance of these two. Delay I can control to my liking but not the reverb ..
When I bring the mix up the dry signal fades to much instead of keeping its tension. Of cause its a aspect ration (the mix)
but how to keep the dry fully intact and with pedal just adding the reverb effect? Tried both serial/parallel but still the dry gets kind of weak.

Struggling with the balance of these two. Delay I can control to my liking but not the reverb ..
When I bring the mix up the dry signal fades to much instead of keeping its tension. Of cause its a aspect ration (the mix)
but how to keep the dry fully intact and with pedal just adding the reverb effect? Tried both serial/parallel but still the dry gets kind of weak.

that's the kind of mix law FAS thinks is better, from 0-50% the dry signal gets heavily attenuated as the wet comes up, for the justification that the block overall output doesn't get any louder... the only way around it is run the blocks all in parallel and set up up your own mix functionality some other way

Reverb and Delay use different mix laws. Reverb changes both wet and dry levels through the range of the control, so as wet goes up, dry goes down. Delay uses a 50/50 split mix where below 50% dry stays full up and wet is changed, at 50% both are full up, and above 50% wet stays full up and dry is changed. That means the delay block can add to the overall signal level above unity gain, while the reverb block stays constant at roughly unity gain.

If you want the reverb block mix to behave like the delay, the simplest way is to run it in parallel at 100% wet and use the input level parameter to control the mix.

You can also keep it in series and use the equation dB = -20 log( 1 - x ) where x is the reverb mix setting in decimal form ( % / 100 ). That will give you how much in dB to boost the reverb block level to bring the dry back to unity gain.

Input Gain is at the input of the block and feeds just the wet side of the reverb. The reverb block level parameter is at the output of the block and affects both the wet and dry.

@Marco Fanton has a way he does it running the Delay in parallel, sets the Mix to 100%, Level @ 0.0 db, and adjusts the input gain of the block to taste. In the video I saw he describes this method for having say 2 different amounts in blocks A & B.
When you change blocks, you do not get any weird or unexpected volume changes.

If you end up running reverb in parallel to avoid this behavior (this is what I do as well), as others have said, set the mix at 100% and use the input gain (or level) parameter to control how much reverb there is, and also make sure you set the bypass mode to "mute in" if you'd like your reverb tails to be preserved when you bypass the block and not cut off instantly. The 100% mix will prevent your dry from passing through the block when the block is active, and setting the bypass mode to "mute in" will prevent your dry from passing through the block when it's bypassed. You don't want your dry to pass through the block since you're running it in parallel. More info about the block bypass options here: http://archive.axefx.fr/AxeFX III/Manuals/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

Yes I agree. The delay and reverb levels can be a little confusing. I also find that the delay level is a bit hard to adjust when used in series. Seems to me that everything happens in the first 10% of the mix 'knob'. Everything above 10% sounds (much) louder than what you expect. So setting the knob for example to 25% doesn't give you half unity gain of the repeats but seems louder. For solo/lead delays for example if have to set the mix somewhere around 5% or so, which is really low, otherwise it is too loud.

I am on the Axe fx II but I think it is the same for the III, since the mix behaviour of the delay didn't change as far as I know.

That's because the delay block is not unity gain. At 50% mix you have 100% of the dry signal plus 100% of the wet signal, so the total signal level can be as much as double unity gain depending on how your delay repeats overlap with the dry signal.

That's because the delay block is not unity gain. At 50% mix you have 100% of the dry signal plus 100% of the wet signal, so the total signal level can be as much as double unity gain depending on how your delay repeats overlap with the dry signal.

Yes I know. With 50% of the mix knob the repeats and dry have the same volume when in series. But that doesn’t explain why there is so little margin from 0-50% mix and why above 10% the repeats seem a lot louder than what you would expect.

checked again with the delay in series mix today. To me 25% of the mix knob sounds already like unity gain (repeats as loud as dry signal). For solo delays I set it to 3% that's still very audible (digital mono delay). Not much happening from 25-50%. Any ideas on this?

Back
Top Bottom