Mix Comparison

iamlucid

Hello Everyone,

After a month or so of tinkering and tweaking my tone to something I like, I think I've finally found it. My question to all you fine and knowledgeable folk is which mix do you like better (or if they're both rubbish)? I did some eq tweaking and the result were two mixes in the below track. One is a bit louder, but that doesn't matter to me as much as the overall sound as it can easily be adjusted. Let me know what you think, and thanks for your time.

Cheers!

I hear what you're saying on the added oomph. I do like that, but was initially leaning toward mix one because it seems a bit cleaner overall. Maybe I can find some middle-ground. Thanks for your feedback.

Mix 1 is easier on the ears. Oddly enough, the way you spliced it together with mix 2 being "heavier" it worked well to give the tune dynamics. mix 1 is not as beefy, and each passage started "stripped down" and then went mix 2 where it got revved up a bit.

That's one thing about mixing - people tend to automatically think a louder mix, even if it is only slightly louder, sounds better. The first mix has a better balance of high end. What are you using to EQ? Is it, by any chance, Ozone?

That's one thing about mixing - people tend to automatically think a louder mix, even if it is only slightly louder, sounds better. The first mix has a better balance of high end. What are you using to EQ? Is it, by any chance, Ozone?

I do use Izotope Ozone for the overall mix. However, for individual tracks/busses I used some Waves plugins and Cakewalk plugins.

Mix 2 sounds a little muffled on the guitar tone to my ears. It has a little more thump in the bass, but I think the guitar tone suffers. I'd say number one sounds better.

There are good points about both. But yeah mix 1 sounds more natural to me. Are you using ozone to widen the gtrs in mix 2?

I'm actually using ozone on both mixes. I just with different settings. I'm currently working on taking the good points of both mixes and "marrying" them together for a better overall mix.

Back
Top Bottom