Mission Vs MOOG Expression

Trying to figure out if the Mission stuff is worth it? The moog expression pedals are like $40 each, so you could get 2 for less than one Mission. Are they worth that much more?

I am also curious about this. The Moog pedals are aesthetically pleasing and affordable. They seem to be highly rated, but I would love to hear some opinions on this from forum members.

The Moog is plastic but feels very solid/ heavy duty. I bought one recently to go with my new AX8 and couldn't be happier. It's superb value, works really well and has a nice throw/ feel.
Not sure I could justify spending over twice the amount when the Moog is so good.
I've previously owned a Boss FV something or other (the metal one) which I used before the AX8 but much prefer the Moog.

The Moog is plastic but feels very solid/ heavy duty. I bought one recently to go with my new AX8 and couldn't be happier. It's superb value, works really well and has a nice throw/ feel.
Not sure I could justify spending over twice the amount when the Moog is so good.

I went this route too and agree 100% with his assessment.

I have the Mission Engineering EP-1. It is a fantastic pedal. The pot taper and feel is very similar to a Cry Baby. I also modded a Dunlop Cry Baby into an expression pedal and the EP-1 acts very similar. The Mission Pedal is all metal and built like a tank as they say. So for wah functionality, I really think the EP-1 or the modded Cry Baby is the way to go. I have not used either of those pedals for other expression functions as I run an Ernie Ball VP Jr. in front of the AX8 for volume and I don't use expression pedals for much else.

I don't have any experience with the Moog pedal, so I can not comment. I do believe the Mission Pedal is worth every penny.

Last edited:
I checked out a Moog pedal and for the money it's nice but not as rugged as the Mission pedals. I firmly believe in "buy once, cry once".

My primary use for an expression pedal is for wah so getting a wah style pedal was important to me. Having the toe switch (on the expression pedal) is also very convenient.

I have 4 Moog EP-3 exp pedals.
2 for my AX8 live rig and 2 for my Kemper at home rig.
Flawless operation so far.
wp-20160921-003_orig.jpg

The only reason I went with Mission was the SP-2, giving me basically two expression pedals in one. The price of the SP-2 vs two expression pedals plus the extra space and weight it freed up made it the best option for me. If I only needed a single function expression pedal I'd probably go with another brand and the Moog seems to be one of the better options.

I had my eye on the Moog and saw three of them still in their boxes at a guitar show in SC. $75 out the door for all three. I use one for volume and one for wah on all presets, so I have a spare just in case. I also experiment around with other variables with the third one from time to time. I'm a bedroom player, but I believe they are sturdy enough for gigging.

Had 4 of them coming and going with different pedal boards over the years. Plastic PE but industrially solid and good feel under the foot. Sole remark : the pot meter connexion with the pedal was with some kind of nylon cord and not mechanical so no idea if this holds still after 4-5 years of intensive use. For me it was a no Brainer due to the low cost and the good feel. If I'd need one again I absolutely would go the same way.

I have both. If you are going to drive your car over it, buy the mission. If you are going to use it in normal operation buy the EP-3 and use the rest of the money for something else.

I have both on my board. I went with the spring loaded Mission that returns to the 0 position automatically and I use that combined with the AX8's ability to automatically toggle a block off based on that. Works great for wah.

If it wasn't for that feature, I'd be happy with all Moogs. Not only are they much cheaper but I much prefer the jack on the back like the Moog has versus on the side like the Mission does. One minor annoyance with the Moog is that it has a knob on the side for limiting range. I find myself a bit OCD with making sure I haven't accidentally bumped that.

I haven't had either long enough to comment on durability but I'd have a hard time believing you'll have any problems with the ruggedness of the Moog.

Spring loaded Mission user here. I have that and the Fractal EV-1. I wanted the Mission because I wanted it to feel like my CryBaby. If that's important to you, then the Mission is an obvious choice. If not, get the cheaper pedal. If it doesn't work out for you then it's not like you invested too much in it anyway.

I have a Moog that has been tossed around with other items and in and out of a plain book bag backpack for about a year now without any issues. I also like the connection on the front (audience side) of the pedal.

Back
Top Bottom