Mission SP-1 or alternative for wah/volume

Hi,

New to the FX-8 and very impressed so far. I'd like to know if I can use the SP-1 or similar (with toe switch) to control volume and wah (click for wah).

Thanks!

Hi, welcome!
If you "click the wah" both EXT jacks of the FX8 are used. I'd prefer switching the wah by "auto-OFF" (pedal position). The best pedal for my use is the Fractal EV-2.

I use the SP1 with my MFC for that very purpose. No issues here. There are videos on youtube that explain how to do it.

@imalrightjack the FX8 has only two pedal jacks. If you connect a pedal with a separate toe switch both jacks are used and there is no jack free e.g. for a volume pedal.

you can, but you have to connect both jacks of the SP1 (one for pedal and one for the switch) with both pedal input jacks of the FX8. If you don`t want to use a second pedal it´s no problem. I prefer switching the wah by using "Auto OFF/ON" settings) without any hardware switch. Cheers Baerti

So I can't do both volume and wah with one pedal?
The SP-1 can be used for controlling both but you will need a volume block in your presets in order for it work. Not difficult and doesn't really impact the CPU much but there's a lot of guys who have had trouble getting it setup and working properly.

If you can find a used Mission SP-2, it will do exactly what you're wanting to do without needing a volume block, you would be able to use the Global volume. The SP-1 (or other Mission two jack/switchable expression pedals) can be rewired to function the same as the SP-2 if you're unable to find one.

The SP-2 has two outputs. Connect these to the FX8’s two pedal jacks using two TRS cables.

Use the manual (pg 78) to setup the global volume.

Change channels on the pedal, add a wah block to your preset and then watch Cooper Carter’s video.

That should get you all setup. The volume channel of the pedal will always be volume on every preset and you don’t need a volume block. The other channel will be the wah when you setup the wah block in the preset, but can do different things in different presets if you want.

@Deadpool_25 - brilliant, I'll check that out now. And, that way, the button will enable wah and over-ride volume? Perfect, if so! Just checking, when you say, "Change channels..." what do you mean? Forgive my enormous stupidity :(

By “change channels” I just mean activate the pedal’s switch. Yes, when you activate/deactivate the switch the pedal should switch between the volume and wah.

I haven’t actually done this, mind you. I’m just going off what I know about the SP-2 without having owned one, and what I know about the FX8. The only mission pedals I have (forgot I had the) are a VM-1 and an EP-1. Neither of which can do what you are trying to do.

Anyway, it should work the way you want. Did you already get an SP-2 or are you just planning?

Back
Top Bottom