Mission pedal question

IronMan

Hi guys,

I want to purchase an expression pedal so I can use the WAH within the Axe. I don't have any floor controller yet (I'm still thinking about which one to purchase, probably a Liquid Jr.). Is it possible with the mission pedals to use it as both a WAH and a volume expression at the same time? So when I press the pedal to the floor it acts as a WAH and if I unpress it it will be a volume pedal again (without a floor controller)?

I think I need the SP-1 with 2 output cables going to the pedal 1 and pedal 2 in the Axe? And will I be able to use the same pedal with a floor controller like the Liquid Jr.? And do I need to buy one with a polarity switch (if I use it without a floor controller), I read somewhere I have to if I want to use the Liquid foot controller?

Thanks!

IronMan said:
Hi guys,

I want to purchase an expression pedal so I can use the WAH within the Axe. I don't have any floor controller yet (I'm still thinking about which one to purchase, probably a Liquid Jr.). Is it possible with the mission pedals to use it as both a WAH and a volume expression at the same time?

Yes, it is: http://liquidfoot.setbb.com/tips-and-tr ... -t178.html

IronMan said:
So when I press the pedal to the floor it acts as a WAH and if I unpress it it will be a volume pedal again (without a floor controller)?

Yes, It is. But you need to have a second controller that you'll attach to the Wah and to the Volume Block.
This controller will turn Wah ON and Vol OFF while you'll turn it to ON position, and then Wah to OFF and Vol to ON while you'll turn the controller to OFF position.
Also, you'll need to attach your exp.ped. to both effects. For Wah, you'll need to attach it to the "FREQ" parameter and then to the "VOL" parameter.

IronMan said:
I think I need the SP-1 with 2 output cables going to the pedal 1 and pedal 2 in the Axe?

Not sure of that, because both PEDAL jacks are made to receive a exp.ped. TRS Jack only. So, you'll certainly need a second Exp. to do what you want. But it's not a problem. You can use an Exp.ped to turn effects on and off as easily as a simple control switch can do it.

IronMan said:
And will I be able to use the same pedal with a floor controller like the Liquid Jr.?

See link below.

IronMan said:
And do I need to buy one with a polarity switch (if I use it without a floor controller), I read somewhere I have to if I want to use the Liquid foot controller?

Not sure of it, but I thing it's preferable because in future, you'll probably change your footcontroller, and this future MFC may need this switch. The difference of price is not so strong, so...

IronMan said:

You're welcome ;)...

Hopefully I can clear up a couple of things here:
1. It is possible to use a Mission SP-1 (or SP-R) pedal with both the pedal (continuous) out and the switch (latching) out into the two pedal inputs on the Axe-Fx. The Axe does indeed support switch inputs in these ports. The I/O section of the Axe-Fx user guide (Page 19 -20 in my copy) describes how to setup the ports to expect a latching switch.
2. You can use a single SP-1 pedal to cover both wah and volume. The normal configuration would be to have the pedal to default to volume, when the switch is activated to turn on the wah, the pedal can be assigned to wah, and when deactivated, by assigned to volume. The original purpose of the SP-1 was to allow it to be used for multiple effects on the Axe-Fx. The only thing you can't do with this setup is control both wah AND volume at the same time. You will need two physical pedals if that is required.
3. Neither the Axe-Fx nor the Liquid Foot Pro/Jr. "require" the polarity switch on the Mission, but they both still work fine if it's there. The polarity switch option is useful if you don't know what controller you might end up with. Rocktron and Axess controllers require the polarity switch. Others might too.
4. There is a special version of the pedal for the Liquid Foot called the SP1-LF. Or you can upgrade a standard pedal to be LF compatible using the Mission Kit-M. James.

Received my SP1-LF --- and I am hoping to do a test hook up this weekend with my LF Jr. (waiting on my cables :) )

Ideally I would like to have the capability to run vol/wah for every patch so can this be setup globally?

Can you provide a step by step tutorial/instruction on how to setup the SP1-LF for vol/wah (hopefully globally)?

I am extremely midi challenged (LOL) -- major breakthrough for me was actually programming the IA switches (through the editor) and actually getting them to sync with the Axe and work! Also got the menu button on the Jr to do double duties as a tuner!!!

Not sure if this could be programmed using the LF Editor, but a quick step by step guide (simple for the midi challenged) would be greatly appreciated --- thanks

Laz

lebihanj said:
Hopefully I can clear up a couple of things here:
1. It is possible to use a Mission SP-1 (or SP-R) pedal with both the pedal (continuous) out and the switch (latching) out into the two pedal inputs on the Axe-Fx. The Axe does indeed support switch inputs in these ports. The I/O section of the Axe-Fx user guide (Page 19 -20 in my copy) describes how to setup the ports to expect a latching switch.
2. You can use a single SP-1 pedal to cover both wah and volume. The normal configuration would be to have the pedal to default to volume, when the switch is activated to turn on the wah, the pedal can be assigned to wah, and when deactivated, by assigned to volume. The original purpose of the SP-1 was to allow it to be used for multiple effects on the Axe-Fx. The only thing you can't do with this setup is control both wah AND volume at the same time. You will need two physical pedals if that is required.
3. Neither the Axe-Fx nor the Liquid Foot Pro/Jr. "require" the polarity switch on the Mission, but they both still work fine if it's there. The polarity switch option is useful if you don't know what controller you might end up with. Rocktron and Axess controllers require the polarity switch. Others might too.
4. There is a special version of the pedal for the Liquid Foot called the SP1-LF. Or you can upgrade a standard pedal to be LF compatible using the Mission Kit-M. James.

I'm planning to do some videos with step by step configuration of the LF and Axe-Fx. Just waiting to get all the equipment together and schedule some time. In the meantime, I'll try and write up some step by step instructions.

I'm expecting new cable supplies to be here Monday so all the orders waiting on cables will ship out next week. James.

Terrific!

lebihanj said:
I'm planning to do some videos with step by step configuration of the LF and Axe-Fx. Just waiting to get all the equipment together and schedule some time. In the meantime, I'll try and write up some step by step instructions.

I'm expecting new cable supplies to be here Monday so all the orders waiting on cables will ship out next week. James.

Cool. Can't wait for the vids.

I have a question about the kit (SP-1 style). I have an old, broken Cry Baby wah pedal that would be perfect for the kit. IIRC, that Wah has 1 input and 1 output. With this kit does this mean that I will need to drill an extra hole for the 2nd output? Not a big deal, I just want to make sure, so I can go out and buy the right-sized drill bit if I need one. IIRC my toolkit only has 1 bit for drilling metal and it's too small. :-(

Also, I assume that I can set up the latching and controller seperately? For example say in one patch I want to use this for wah as is typical (latching on/off) but for another patch I have no need for an expression pedal, but the latching would be cool if I don't have enough Instant Access pedals on my old MIDI controller. And vice versa - I don't need latching, just a volume pedal for a different patch. I would assume I just don't assign latching for a patch, or don't assign a CC for a patch, right? Nothing explicitly states that I can see the need for both latching & expression to control the same block.

And the idea of switching functionality of the pedal via the latching switch is a cool idea too!

No drilling required. There are two outputs, one for the continuous and one for the latching. Since there is no input on an expression pedal you only need two holes in the chassis. You don't say what you intend to plug the pedal into, but assuming you go into the two pedal ports on the Axe-Fx, you configure one for continuous and one for latching. You don't need to use the switch in a patch if you don't want to. It just functions as an external IA. If you are plugging into a MIDI floor controller, it depends on the particular controller if it supports an external switch or not. James.

Well, don't I feel dumb! :oops: :D

I was thinking like it was an effect pedal and thinking guitar input + 2 outputs were required. D'Oh! :-D

Thanks for clearing that up. As far as what I'm going to plug it into I was thinking direct into the AxeFx. I gotta look through my manual for my old ground control, but I seem to remember (and I'm probably wrong) that you could attach CCs to the Ground control for sending MIDI CCs out, but not a latching pedal.

If I can do it either way, then I don't know and I guess it doesn't mater much, right?

:)

We haven't tested with the older GCPro, but the current model at least, you can 'fake' a latching switch input by using a TRS wired switch. The SP-1's are wired this way so you can use the switch with the current GCPro. That said, the GCPro does not have a pedal calibration capability so you do not always get 100% sweep. The Axe-Fx pedal inputs do have pedal calibration. James.

I just wanted to chime in that I had the exact same questions as the OP and the questions have been answered in this thread. I will be ordering the SP-1 in the next day or so. Thanks!

Thanks guys for answering!

I'm not quiet sure yet how to setup the pedal. I understand that the output of the pedal should go to pedal1 or pedal2 in the axe, but what about the latching cable (is it also a 1/4" TRS cable?)? Should it also go in either pedal1 or pedal2?

Yes, the cable for the switch out should also be TRS. The pedal ports on the Axe-FX are programmable so it doesn't really matter if you use pedal 1 or pedal 2, but once you have chosen, you should make sure that they are set up in the Axe appropriately. So if you plug PEDAL OUT into PEDAL 1 set it for 'continuous' and with SWITCH OUT into Pedal 2, set it to 'latch'. Instructions for how to configure this are in the mission user guide which you can get from www.mission-engineering.com. James.

iohanr said:
I just wanted to chime in that I had the exact same questions as the OP and the questions have been answered in this thread. I will be ordering the SP-1 in the next day or so. Thanks!

And I just ordered the Kit a few hours ago! :) Can't wait. Got this, an EV-5. I just need one other (if my UV-1FC works then I'm all set, but I don't think it will) and I'll be set. It will be nice for my whole pedalbard to consist of 1 Ground Control, 3 pedals, and not much else (I'll probably still keep my Very Tone pedal, and maybe a small Dr Distorto if I get one for feedback).

Trying to get the rig down to as light and portable as possible.

lebihanj said:

Any updates?

I have the Mission pedal LF (and cables) and I want to hook it up to my Axe through my LF Jr.

I want the expression pedal to act as

1) Vol (could be default)
2) Wah (when expression pedal is turned on)

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance

Hoping to get the videos recorded in the week before NAMM and have them available sometime in Feb. Busy time of year building pedals and not much spare for other things. Voes step by step guide can help you get the regular expression pedal functions going. If you want to email me I can send you some basic written pointer to setting up as you describe. James.

lebihanj said:
Hoping to get the videos recorded in the week before NAMM and have them available sometime in Feb. Busy time of year building pedals and not much spare for other things. Voes step by step guide can help you get the regular expression pedal functions going. If you want to email me I can send you some basic written pointer to setting up as you describe. James.

just sent you my email address -- thanks

Buy the SP-2

This one has two jacks. So you can use two cables goint to pedal 1 and pedal 2.

If you use 1 vor Wah and 2 for Volume you just have to switch the SP2 and you have the different effect.

Might be the best solutions without any programing and additional controllers.

Back
Top Bottom