Mission Exp pedals don't calibrate correctly?

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
Hi, I was calibrating my new Mission EP-1 pedals last night and noticed that they each only go from 0-116, instead of 127. How do I fix this? I saw in one of Yek's wiki pages that not all pedals calibrate to 127 and it's still workable, but my dilemma is that if I'm using the pedal for something like Whammy, it won't shift all the way to whatever value I want - for example, instead of shifting 2 steps, it doesn't quite get there. I found a workaround which was to set the Whammy to 4 steps, then the Max to something like 56% (halfway is 2 steps, plus a little bit to compensate), but this isn't an optimum solution. Other than this issue they work perfectly, as far as controlling whatever I've set it to control... just that they only go to 116 (I suppose that's better than "it goes to 11" ;-)

Is this common behavior for Mission pedals, do I have a bad pair, or did I miss something when following the calibration instructions?

Hi. The purpose of calibrating the pedals is for the MFC (or axe-fx if you are connecting directly to that) to measure a start stop position for each individual pedal/cable combination and then internally assign those to MIDI numbers. Seeing 116 on the calibration display should not mean that the actual MIDI values will not go to 127. if your effect block is really not going all the way to the end, I would recommend checking your cables and rerunning the calibration sequence. Maybe the calibration was not saved. James.

in other words, the full midi range is from 0-127. however your pedal, when calibrating, may only show 3-116.

the calibration then stretches the 0-127 midi values over the pedal's range of 3-116... meaning 116 on the pedal is actually 127, 3 is actually 0 and everything in between is averaged.

something like that haha

Chris, it doesn't stretch the values. It's easy to hear when I'm playing and do a whammy that ends up out of tune. It shows from 0-116, and that's about the range I get. You can also see this on the AFX screen when the dot doesn't quite move all the way to the top right. So instead of a 2 step whammy effect, I get a little less than that, which is why I had to do a workaround w/ a little more than half of a 4 step shift. Or, using EXP1 for the default volume control, you can tell it doesn't quite go all the way to 100% volume, when comparing to the full volume without the pedal.

Ok well it SHOULD stretch the values... That's what calibration is for. lemme think.

No worries, anything you can think of may be helpful. I have a new TRS cable on order anyway so that may make a difference.

Of course, the MFC update w/ 6.0 may solve the problem or change things...

All I can think of is that the calibration isn't being saved for some reason. Can you try just running through the calibration steps in the MFC manual one more time? Also you could try using a different exp pedal input and see if the problem persists.

Update: It appears that my TRS cables were the problem. Tried using a new Hosa cable... the pedal still only calibrates from 0-116, but now the controller works all the way to 100%.

Update to update: Actually, maybe the cable wasn't the problem. I switched back to the old cable, and now it works correctly too. And weirdly, so does the volume on EXP1, which I didn't plug the new cable into.

Go figure ;-)

I just wanted to let you know its completely normal to have an expression pedal calibrate with the numbers you are seeing. My mission pedals also only reach 116. Basically when you calibrate the bottom number will send a 0 and your top number will send 127 once you complete the calibration. All pedals are not created equal thus calibration is required. No worries mission are great pedals and have fun with your Axe Fx!

Back
Top Bottom