Mission EP1 Setup Question

Toopy14

Axe-Master
I recently bought a new Mission EP1 pedal to use with my Axe-Fx and AX8. I have a Boss FV-300L but I wanted to try something different.

I connected the Mission pedal with a TRS cable and used the menu on the Axe-Fx to calibrate it. I started playing through a preset that has a whammy block, with a two octave pitch shift. When the pedal was in the heal position, the guitar sounded out of tune, so I checked the tuning and tried again, same result. I kept thinking the guitar was the problem but then it dawned on me that the issue may be with the pedal, so I bypassed the whammy block and the guitar sounded fine. I tried recalibrating the pedal again, same issue. Then I decided to try the Boss pedal again and it worked fine. In the heel position, the guitar was in tune and in the toe position, the 2 octave pitch shift worked perfectly.

l checked the range of the sweep in the modifier settings and it Is moving through the full range on the slope. Is there something I’m missing in setting up the Mission pedal? The only adjustment, according the manual, is the tension screw, which shouldn’t be related. The pedal appears to have full range and seems to be physically fine.

Thanks

I recently bought a new Mission EP1 pedal to use with my Axe-Fx and AX8. I have a Boss FV-300L but I wanted to try something different.

I connected the Mission pedal with a TRS cable and used the menu on the Axe-Fx to calibrate it. I started playing through a preset that has a whammy block, with a two octave pitch shift. When the pedal was in the heal position, the guitar sounded out of tune, so I checked the tuning and tried again, same result. I kept thinking the guitar was the problem but then it dawned on me that the issue may be with the pedal, so I bypassed the whammy block and the guitar sounded fine. I tried recalibrating the pedal again, same issue. Then I decided to try the Boss pedal again and it worked fine. In the heel position, the guitar was in tune and in the toe position, the 2 octave pitch shift worked perfectly.

l checked the range of the sweep in the modifier settings and it Is moving through the full range on the slope. Is there something I’m missing in setting up the Mission pedal? The only adjustment, according the manual, is the tension screw, which shouldn’t be related. The pedal appears to have full range and seems to be physically fine.

Thanks
calibration should make the EP1 usable. are you pressing enter after doing the sweeps? be sure to follow whatever instruction is there.

if all else fails, you can adjust the Graph in the modifier screen so that the line is angled better to hit the range of the pedal.

calibration should make the EP1 usable. are you pressing enter after doing the sweeps? be sure to follow whatever instruction is there.

Yes, I hit enter both times. I figured that’s all I should have to. Makes me wonder if there is and issue with it.

This was with pedal directly to an Axe-FX pedal port, not XP port on MFC or other MIDI controller?

If it's close but not perfect, this can be corrected with modifier settings like Chris mentioned. (Increase "scale" a bit, possibly along with a slight "offset" adjustment.)

You could also try to limit the pedal travel during calibration with a thin object like a coin, then see if the full range is reached during normal use.

This was with pedal directly to an Axe-FX pedal port, not XP port on MFC or other MIDI controller?

It's connected to an RJM Mastermind LT, which connected to the Axe-Fx. I will try it direct.

I believe I tried it directly into my AX8 and had the same issue...can't remember. I will try it again into the AX8.

It's connected to an RJM Mastermind LT, which connected to the Axe-Fx. I will try it direct.

I believe I tried it directly into my AX8 and had the same issue...can't remember. I will try it again into the AX8.
is it an EP1 designed for RJM gear? RJM has a specific polarity for expression pedals. that might be complicating things here.

is it an EP1 designed for RJM gear? RJM has a specific polarity for expression pedals. that might be complicating things here.

Now that's a really good question! Don't know, will have to check when I get home.

http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Expression_Pedal_Compatibility

I don't believe the one I have is the -R version, I didn't see a toggle switch. I can always re-wire the TRS cable. I wonder if I have to calibrate in the RJM as well?

I'll try the pedal into the AX8, that will be further proof it's an issue with the RJM and polarity.

You need to calibrate on the RJM, not the Axe-FX then.

The calibration procedure on the Axe-FX is only for the 1/4" pedal ports on the Axe-FX.

LOL...Yep! Not sure what the hell I was thinking!

"The first time you connect a particular expression pedal to the Mastermind LT, you will first want to calibrate it. Expression pedals vary from model to model, and calibrating the pedal insures that the Mastermind LT will always be able to send the correct values for the pedal’s position. Simply press the Calibrate button, then move the pedal all the way up and all the way down. Press the Done button once this is complete. "

yes, you absolutely need to calibrate on the device you're connecting the pedal to, in this case, the RJM.

It was -23 C last night...the 55 year old neurons weren't firing properly in the cold.

Thanks everyone for all the replies!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLO I DO NOT MISS OTTAWA WEATHER!! :D

Sure you do!

Ottawa is Caribbean-like weather, compared to where I grew up in northern Ontario. I remember one night it went down to -54 degrees C...no windchill. The frost was penetrating the basement walls, about 3-1/2 feet below ground level.

You need to calibrate on the RJM, not the Axe-FX then.

yes, you absolutely need to calibrate on the device you're connecting the pedal to, in this case, the RJM.

That was it, just needed to calibrate the RJM. I didn’t have to modify the TRS cable at all though and the cable works with the Mission pedal and the Boss pedal. According to the RJM manual, the Mission pedal requires a TRS cable with the ring and tip swapped and the Boss pedal requires the opposite, so I’m not quite sure why it works with both pedals.

Back
Top Bottom