Mission Engineering SP-1 as external switch

drgary

I seem to remember reading a message from the guys at Mission Engineering explaining why the switch in the SP-1 must be connected to the MFC-101 as an expression pedal rather than an external switch. In that same message he explained that you could rewire the switch to make it look like an external switch and that required either removing the connection to the ring or switching between the ring and sleeve or something similar. Has anyone else seen that video? I am making cables and I want to make that change before I set everything up.

Of course I have looked for the message and cannot find it so it is conceivable that I am making all of this up. :)

I don't have the link for the mod, but the switch is made for a pedal input because most foot controllers will have 2 pedal inputs, but no switch inputs. Therefore if the sp-1 switch was made for a switch style input, it couldn't be used with most foot controllers.

The MFC of course has 4 pedal inputs and 2 switch inputs. If you have to use all 4 pedal inputs for actual pedals, then the mod will help. But if you do have an available pedal input, the switch works flawlessly as is. I have a setup video for the sp-1 if you are interested, link in my sig below.

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen your video and it helped me choose which pedals to buy. I currently have no plans for 4 expression pedals, I am just looking at options. Just to satisfy my curiousity I may ohm out the cable attached to the switch on the SP-1 to get a handle on what it happening.

Thanks dabbler, that is exactly the information I need. I will have to think about this a bit but I wonder if I can do the equivalent when I construct a cable rather than opening up the pedal and making mods in it? I think I can.

The best way to do this is to completely remove the ring (green wire) from both the switch and jack ends in the SP-1 so that the unused wire is not left floating. This voids the warranty of course. If you prefer, we have warranty friendly prewired TS switch and jack assemblies available that can be easily swapped out. This way you can keep both versions and swap them out whenever necessary.Switch Kit - missionengineering.com.

If you are going to leave the ring connected in the pedal and try to do this in the cable, you should use a TRS plug at the pedal end and then leave the ring unconnected in the cable. If you plug a TS plug into the TRS Switch Output on the SP-1, the ring and ground will be bridged together which can sometimes cause problems. Using a TRS plug will keep the ring and ground isolated. James.

Perfect, I really appreciate the input. The resources available on this board are truly remarkable. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom