Mission Engineering FRFR Cab with AxeFx

dan4132

Hey Guys,

Anyone used one of these with their AxeFx?

Gemini 2-P - Mission Engineering

I want a FRFR 2x12 thats stereo for my setup.. I have a Mission Expression Pedal and know the build quality is brill.. if anyone has any input that would be great! Will be running it with my Matrix 1000 power amp

:encouragement:

I'm using a Geminii 2 and really like it. There is some residual noise such as a high pitched whistling noise when the AFX is connected and on, but... I only notice the noise when in the rehearsal studio, on stage the noise is almost not noticeable with all of the other noises of a live idling stage. The connectivity is unusal and will need a special cable (l/r xlr to single trs).

Really appreciate you guys getting back to me.. thats great feedback and looks like I might take that route and get one.. only issue is trying to find a seller in the UK that can get hold of one! ;)

@Myshkin47 I noticed they do a passive Gemini 2 so I would use that with my Matrix rather than get the powered version... Though could this be the better option using the power amp of the Gemini 2?! :jaded:

The Gemini 2-P has to be ordered direct from Mission in California for UK buyers I think(?)

With the cheapest international shipping option (UPS) it works out about 915 USD - circa £585 ..... but there will be import duties to pay as well as soon as it lands in the UK - not sure how much extra that will work out at. 20%?

I was very interested in this cab but it was the damn duties that spoiled the party .... and it's a long expensive way home for it if it needs returned under warranty or if you want to return it for refund.

While the Gemini 2 powered combo looks enticing I had ruled it out early as I was not going to gamble that much extra dosh on the additional features being a benefit or not .... Really all I want is a FRFR cab as I have the GT1000FX already ..... and the GT1000 also covers using conventional cabs too when the mood suits. Having yet more tweakable things on a speaker cab is not what I'm after either. Just my personal take on it of course.

I've forgone stereo and settled on mono through a FR212 ...... and it's all good so far (only had the FR212 a few days now but I'm well impressed)

The Gemini 2-P has to be ordered direct from Mission in California for UK buyers I think(?)

With the cheapest international shipping option (UPS) it works out about 915 USD - circa £585 ..... but there will be import duties to pay as well as soon as it lands in the UK - not sure how much extra that will work out at. 20%?

I was very interested in this cab but it was the damn duties that spoiled the party .... and it's a long expensive way home for it if it needs returned under warranty or if you want to return it for refund.

While the Gemini 2 powered combo looks enticing I had ruled it out early as I was not going to gamble that much extra dosh on the additional features being a benefit or not .... Really all I want is a FRFR cab as I have the GT1000FX already ..... and the GT1000 also covers using conventional cabs too when the mood suits. Having yet more tweakable things on a speaker cab is not what I'm after either. Just my personal take on it of course.

I've forgone stereo and settled on mono through a FR212 ...... and it's all good so far (only had the FR212 a few days now but I'm well impressed)

Hey Maxdown,

Thanks so much for your view and help.

Which FR212 did you go for in the end? Shame about the Gemini as it seemed such a good buy for everything I want/need.. but if getting hold of it in the UK bumps the price up that much its not worth it for me.

Like yourself I really would like to stick with my Matrix as then I can use anything that is presented at a gig if I didn't have a cab with me..

Thanks again

Which FR212 did you go for in the end? Shame about the Gemini as it seemed such a good buy for everything I want/need.. but if getting hold of it in the UK bumps the price up that much its not worth it for me.
I got the Matrix FR212 - it's passive and using just one channel of my GT1000FX in 'Stereo' (dual mono really) mode is plenty loud enough.

It's larger than an average 2x12 cab to make room for the HF driver and horn - but still light and portable due to the neodyn magnet speakers used. I suppose I could use 2 for stereo but if I ever downsized my car I'd never get 2 transported to gigs and have room for guitars, rack and bag. Stereo on stage rarely sounds spread out - but it does seem to 'clean up' some modulation effects and enables time based fx like enhancers or doubling stuff without mono summed phasing issues.

The slightly oversized 2x12 format also means there's a decent 'thump' from the cab too.

You're in Wiltshire I see .... it could be in your interest to contact Matrix and arrange to go actually have a hands on try out at their HQ with the various offerings?

Your other option could be 2 of their Q12 passive cabs - more expensive but the form factor means you can split the 2 of them up to fit when transporting and spread them a bit on stage if there's room ... or stack them etc.

Ede Wright has a YT video of him comparing 2 Q12a's (in passive mode) and a FR212 running with a GT1000FX (cleanish tones - but thats good for demo'ing dynamics)

I actually like the sound of the 2 Q12s just as much as the FR212 but for different reasons - they do seem to sound less 'clear' compared to the FR212 but sound more 'conventional like' while still having the full frequency response. I'd still want to be there to hear the difference with my own ears before deciding ..... and be prepared to spend the extra for 2 Q12s of course :)

Other brands would be Atomic - they distribute in the EU from a warehouse in Ireland - so that means what you see is what you pay if you build an order via their web store and delivery is cheap. You have the choice of passive cab or wedge format. Again though, it starts to mount up money wise when you buy 2 of anything! Thats why the Gemini 2-P is so tantalising yet so annoying due to import duties .... but at least I'm FRFR now and can get used to it for a while even if it is 'only' mono ..... any further decision to go to 2 12 inch cabs can be made later if I feel it necessary.

I'd say my ideal set up would be 2 12 inch FRFR cabs eventually actually .... gives you a lot of options. Mono with one cab in tight places, stereo in larger places, more placement options etc etc. It's just a lot of money to shell out and I'm not risking that until I'm 100% sure FRFR is for me.

Like yourself I really would like to stick with my Matrix as then I can use anything that is presented at a gig if I didn't have a cab with me..

Yes ... that too as long as you have a set of presets made to suit conventional cab use (EG routing the 'no cab block' Matrix Amp/Cab feed via Output 2 outs and sending a cab block included feed via Output 1 to FOH feed etc)

I have been using a couple of 1x12 conventional cabs so I'll keep my current presets in banks reserved for that set up - my FRFR set up will have it's own bank(s) and all I'll need to do is hopefully just change the output settings in the I/O menu to suit either - IE 'stereo' or 'Sum L + R'

Yeh like yourself I have just made specific presets for any situation depending on what Cab I have with me and what situation we are in with a PA. But most of the time we are always using our own gear.

Really appreciate the post to the Video that helped a lot! Really love the sound of both of them.. and I totally agree with the finding out if FRFR is the way forward for me as well as I have just used my Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab which I converted into Stereo up till now. It would just be nice to be able to use the Cab simulation on the FRFR setup so that I am not having to keep just using the same Recto Cab as some presets just don't sound so great with it.

I got some emails back today and there is a stockist in the UK that can get hold of the Gemini and the price isn't so bad. So now I just need to weigh up my options, price and soundwise...

Thanks so much again for the help and advice!

I got some emails back today and there is a stockist in the UK that can get hold of the Gemini and the price isn't so bad. So now I just need to weigh up my options, price and soundwise...

Really? I'd be interested in knowing more about which dealer

Yeh I was surprised as well.. The Guy is called Richard and he works at GuitarGuitar.. they are a Mission stockist in the UK. He's just finding out the ETA on one for me.

Have just put up a for sale notice on a Matrix Q12 passive FRFR cab, which would be a great affordable option. These are great. Im keeping my other one.

I'm using a Geminii 2 and really like it. There is some residual noise such as a high pitched whistling noise when the AFX is connected and on, but... I only notice the noise when in the rehearsal studio, on stage the noise is almost not noticeable with all of the other noises of a live idling stage. The connectivity is unusal and will need a special cable (l/r xlr to single trs).
Yep the connectivity is weird. I got one of these amps and running that Y-cable to the axe. How do I run axe FOH via XLRs if I'm already using both with that Y cable and want to use the Gemini as a backline on stage?

Yep the connectivity is weird. I got one of these amps and running that Y-cable to the axe. How do I run axe FOH via XLRs if I'm already using both with that Y cable and want to use the Gemini as a backline on stage?
I run out 1 to the Geminii and out 2 to foh. Out 2 is 1/4" trs, so I built a 2 channel 1/4 trs to xlr distro cable.

Back
Top Bottom