Mission engineering expression pedal and AX8

ivanh3

My AX8 is enroute and should arrive on Wednesday. I am looking for an expression pedal with a toe switch that will allow the expression pedal to work as a volume pedal and then as a wah pedal with the toe switch engaged. I see that the Mission Engineering SP-1 has a toe switch. Does the AX8 have the functionality I am describing?

Also, would I need the model that has the polarity switch (SP-1R)?

Thanks!

Yes. I believe you could assign the toe switch to the bypass state of both blocks, so that one press enables one and disables the other one, however I might be wrong (I haven't got my AX8 yet)

Checkout Paranoid's post:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/double-expression-from-my-sp-1-mission.109364/

I'm planning to do the mod on my SP-1. The SP-1 currently is stock that the toe switch just turns on/off a function. With the mod, the only issue is possibly the reverse aspect after you toe switch, the pedal is in the down position. For me, I just like having the option of 2 functions in one pedal. I "preswitch" between wah or volume before each song/patch.

Last edited:
yes, you can do both, there's some more advanced controller routing and function, but Chris from axeFx Tutorials has a great tutorial on it.

Halfway through (method 2)

I have an SP-1 with a toe switch that I'm not using. Just haven't got around to putting in up for sale yet. Let me know if you want it.

I had a boss fv500 I modded to add a tow switch do exactly that. Vol then I click the button and it controls the wah

The discontinued SP-2 can do this. It has 2 TRS outputs, and an LED to see what channel you are controlling.

I recently started using the SP-1 with an AX8 for exactly this. Works as volume until toe is switched then it turns into Wah. Used Chris's walkthrough video to get it all working and it works fine.
I just need to get into the habit of not pulling the treadle of the SP-1 back before pushing it forward with force as I have always done on a Crybaby Wah :) I keep doing this and end up with first a volume dip then full volume before engaging the Wah. It's not that the switch is stiff or anything. It can be adjusted to whatever you want but old habits die hard haha.
I may end up using just an extra auto engaged expression pedal instead for Wah if i can't break this habit.

Back
Top Bottom