Wish Minimum time between two triggers of the same external switch (Debounce)

HurdyGuigui

Inspired
Hello,

I have an issue with my external switches, it works well but sometimes (about once every 20 times) it trigger the action twice, just like if I pressed my switch two times in a few milliseconds.
It is problematic when I map my external switch to the looper controls or to scene increment.
I remember that on my old Liquid Foot controller there was an option to set a minimum time in ms between two triggers to avoid this kind of issue. I didn't found this option on the AXE FX III. It would be great if there was this option or just a fixed minimum time (about 100ms) between triggers.

Is anyone having the same issue?

What brand of external switches are you using?

I am using a dualswitch from mosky as well as a homemade switch.

Thanks !

You’re describing switch bounce. It’s a known thing that some switches do. Some are more prone to it than others. There are ways to debounce a switch electronically, and there may already be some debouncing built into the switch inputs on the FC.

You can also minimize bounce by stomping the footswitch firmly and decisively. You don’t have to crush it underfoot, but drive it firmly through its full stroke.

Alternatives: try a different brand of switch, or assign time-critical functions to the FC’s onboard switches.

You’re describing switch bounce. It’s a known thing that some switches do. Some are more prone to it than others. There are ways to debounce a switch electronically, and there may already be some debouncing built into the switch inputs on the FC.
Thanks for naming the right word for what happens.
Can someone from Fractal tell us if there is some debouncing happening into the FC input?
I might try to do it electronically if there are no other solution.

Last edited:
I tried with an other brand (Ampero dual switch) and it works great. There is a mechanical debounce in the switch though.
So this remain a wish for switches that doesn't have either electronic or mechanical debounce integrated.

I tried with an other brand (Ampero dual switch) and it works great. There is a mechanical debounce in the switch though.
So this remain a wish for switches that doesn't have either electronic or mechanical debounce integrated.
Win!

I get your wish, though. I've only tried a handful of different switches, but I've never had a problem with switch bounce on any Fractal product going back to the Ultra. Maybe I got lucky. Or maybe you got unlucky. :)

I use external switches too. I bought a bunch of switches at the same time. I had 2 old amp foot switches: one 3 button, one 4 button. I put the same switches in both. The 3 button one works great. The 4 button one is unpredictable just like you describe. The 3 button has a stereo jack so I just use a short stereo phono cable. The 4 button came with a long cable mechanically connected to it that I reused with the new switches. The only electrical difference is the length and type of cable. Someday I might try shortening the cable on the bad one and see if that helps.

I use external switches too. I bought a bunch of switches at the same time. I had 2 old amp foot switches: one 3 button, one 4 button. I put the same switches in both. The 3 button one works great. The 4 button one is unpredictable just like you describe. The 3 button has a stereo jack so I just use a short stereo phono cable. The 4 button came with a long cable mechanically connected to it that I reused with the new switches. The only electrical difference is the length and type of cable. Someday I might try shortening the cable on the bad one and see if that helps.
It'd take a mighty long cable to mess up the function of a switch. My hunch is that the problem is an intermittent connection or dodgy connector.

Harkening back to my diy pedal building days, you generally get what you pay for with stomp switches. There's a lot of cheap junk out there so it can be tough sometimes to find a good quality switch. Carling makes good quality switches that last.

Back
Top Bottom