Minimalist Recording Setup with Axe FX

Hi All,

I am contemplating purchasing gear for a minimal recording setup that will still produce decent audio capture (of the AxeFX) results. Given the AxeFX has digital output are there any laptops with decent digital input that might be a good match? Or a reasonably priced USB audio interface?

Other instruments would be handled by VSTs in the DAW (Cubase).

Steve.

I used to own a Line 6 UX1 and I used that to record when I just bought the Ultra (too broke lol). The potential of the axe fx is really reduced greatly by it. Soon after I went to purchase a decent audio interface around $300 (Focusrite Saffire 6 USB), the quality improved greatly and I am running in stereo. I've seen many other axe fx users with M-audio , Presonus , motu etc etc. You might want to check them out as well. Good luck.

I'm also interested in this, i recorded my axe-fx for the first time last night and used a ux1. I'm specifically interested in shinodax's comment that the potential of the axe if reduced with the ux1, could you explain please and what would does the saffire or similar give you, is it better quality audio or more features.

tia

relic245 said:
I'm also interested in this, i recorded my axe-fx for the first time last night and used a ux1. I'm specifically interested in shinodax's comment that the potential of the axe if reduced with the ux1, could you explain please and what would does the saffire or similar give you, is it better quality audio or more features.

tia

I used the UX1 and I had to on the Pod farm in order to have audio running though. I believe that there is a preamp altering the tone of Axe Fx in Pod farm although nothing is loaded. After I changed to a dedicated interface, I can actually check if my AFX is clipping and I can run it stereo with 2 inputs on the interface. It brings axe fx to a much better level than the UX1. And audio quality improved a lot in recording and monitoring (in terms of clarity, warmth etc).

When I had the UX1, I just felt like something was not right because it just making the AFX sounded like a slightly better version of the Pod farm. I don't know if it happens to you. I'm not saying the ux1 sucks but this is what i heard and experienced. If it has good result for you then keep it up. You can borrow some other interfaces from your friend and compare the result.

Cheers.

Hey guys,

yeah my aim is to be able to record on the move more easily.

I am considering a second hand MBox or something like that with SPDIF input to the laptop via USB.

VSTs and Cubase.

Headphones to monitor.

I guess the most expensive components are the AxeFX and my gutiars.

Aim is to be able to write/record but on the off chance something worth keeping occurs it is recorded well enough to migrate it to a final version.

Steve.

I'm using a Tascam US-144 MKII USB interface and it's working perfectly. 2 XLR inputs, 2 1/4" inputs, headphone out, line out (RCA Stereo) and digital In/Out jacks that can do SP/DIF or AES/EBU. Also has phantom power for the XLR to run a mic. Works perfectly on all current windows os from xp to 7 (32 and 64 bit).

The pre's are extremely quiet and pristine and you can dial your monitor mix between the line inputs and computer for zero latency recording and can do 24 bit / 96khz.

I've been extremely happy with it so far. It's inexpensive compared to most others and works great. If you need something with more inputs, it'll cost you more, but it sounds like for what you're doing, this would work great.

Back
Top Bottom