Mini Amp Gizmo with Peavey JSX

murphyinaz

Hello all,
Trying to figure out how to incorporate amp channel switching with my new FX8.
My amp of choice (Peavey JSX) does not use short to sleeve type switching so I purchased a mini amp gizmo and special connector cord from RJM Electronics. This set works well with my Line 6 m13.

I set up my FX8 using same configuration (standard midi cable out to mini amp gizmo midi in). I set up a several scenes and tried to use the FX8 to change amp channels but to no avail. I can get the scenes to save but can't seem to get my amp to communicate with the FX8. I know there is a section in the FX 8 manual on page 37 that discussed MIDI program Change Messages but I am not sure what values to put in to make this work correctly.

Has anyone had a similar experience and been able to solve this puzzle? Any detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated.

i'm gonna be figuring out the Mini Amp Gizmo for a Marshall JS head soon for someone (just via manual etc, not with any actual gear) so I'll post some thoughts about the JSX here once i learn the gear a bit. JSX should be pretty straight forward as far as switching, so it's more about what you want the FX8 to do.

do you want it to change channels per Scene or Preset? or do you want footswitches that you use to change the channels on command?

i'm gonna be figuring out the Mini Amp Gizmo for a Marshall JS head soon for someone (just via manual etc, not with any actual gear) so I'll post some thoughts about the JSX here once i learn the gear a bit. JSX should be pretty straight forward as far as switching, so it's more about what you want the FX8 to do.

do you want it to change channels per Scene or Preset? or do you want footswitches that you use to change the channels on command?

Ideally I would just set up 8 scenes with my desired effects (2 dry clean, 2 "pretty" clean, 1 dry ryhthm and 3 lead tones) and then each time I step on the button to change my scene it changes my amp channel accordingly. My amp has a clean, a dirty and a lead channel (as well as an effects loop).

I tried setting up the same way that I set it up with my Line 6 m13 (which works great and was simple to get working) but it won't change my amp channels. I have a feeling there is some setting that needs adjusted within the fx8 that will allow everything to communicate.
Also a side note....this fx8 unit has a boat load of "hum"....i know they mention using humbuster cables as an option but there is no way to use this in a live setting without them...is anyone else having the same experience?

Thanks for any feedback or info.....

No ground loops here on my two high gain amps, and the FX8 introduces no audible noise or hum. I'm in 4CM, all cables 15ft, no humbusters.

My current gigging rig before I get my AX8 is a Peavey JSX, Digitech GSP 1101 with a mini Amp Gizmo for midi switching. Works great and I have been using it live for a number or years. I will check the settings on the GSP 1101. I think it is OMNI (default) and then I pressed the buttons on the Mini amp Gizmo to see what channels switched the amp channels and then saved the preset and it was done. Was that the same on the Line 6?

Back
Top Bottom