Mimiq Doubler

Listening to the demo, I think the equivalent in the Axe would be what the Enhancer block does, what do you think?

yes, the enhancer in my own tiny opinion, is a cool sound when playing by yourself with headphones or something, but when ive tried it at rehearsal or live setting it always sounds a hair off and i remove it

different for me compared to Axe3 Enhancer (I have Mimiq), but if it sounds the same to you then cool! - no need 4 u 2 get a Mimiq. I wish it sounded the same to me cuz then I could sell the pedal and put the loot from sale into my Axefx4 savings fund disguised in the books as "upcoming household items"

Sounds like the modern style to me!

yes, the enhancer in my own tiny opinion, is a cool sound when playing by yourself with headphones or something, but when ive tried it at rehearsal or live setting it always sounds a hair off and i remove it
Agreed! it's more of a studio effect.

According to TC E themselves the Mimiq works with an algo that influences timing, attack and pitch. Therefore I think CC’s approach is definitely on the money. I have owned a Mimiq and can say hand on heart that I prefer the Enhancer block in Fractal, especially for ”doubling” gainy sounds. Less sonic artifacts and therefore a bit more direct sounding (for lack of a better word).

Here's a post that describes how the Mimiq works: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...er-feature-on-axe-fx-iii.179347/#post-2187994

I own a Mimiq and I've examined it quite closely, so I'm pretty familiar with the details of how it works. It does not do LFO-modulated pitch. It makes sense that it doesn't work that way. After all, with real double tracking, your first take doesn't suddenly start warbling when you record a second take :).

From the TC Electronic website:

MIMIQ DOUBLER couldn’t be further from the crude artificial double tracking devices of yesteryear. Mimiq is a new breed. It’s AUTHENTIC double tracking! When you’re double tracking in the studio, each take is different. There’ll be slight differences in your timing, your attack and your pitch. All of these random factors are what gives the final recording depth and that larger than life feel. Hence we’ve spent countless hours and consumed countless cups of coffee in order to create an innovative algorithm that perfectly captures all of these beautiful elusive nuances, letting you access the magic of the studio directly through your pedalboard.

Still, I'm not claiming anything because I just don't know (or deeply care for that matter), I'm just quoting the people who actually build the thing...

Here's a post that describes how the Mimiq works: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...er-feature-on-axe-fx-iii.179347/#post-2187994

I own a Mimiq and I've examined it quite closely, so I'm pretty familiar with the details of how it works. It does not do LFO-modulated pitch. It makes sense that it doesn't work that way. After all, with real double tracking, your first take doesn't suddenly start warbling when you record a second take :).
Nice preset by the way, really cleverly done, gonna seriously testdrive that thing one of these days. Thanks.

I tried a Mimiq and sent it back the next day. A lot posts from people say it works great and a few, like me, had some real issues with how it killed the sound and tone. Supposedly a few have some sort of glitch and if you send it back for a replacement it'll be fine. I must have had one of those bad ones. It wasn't a little bad, this was "Wow, this is un-usable" bad.

I've tried the Enhancer since I've bought an FM3. But didn't like that either. I went back to what I've used for years. Delay one side 20ms. Not the best solution but the best I've found so far.

I tried a Mimiq and sent it back the next day. A lot posts from people say it works great and a few, like me, had some real issues with how it killed the sound and tone. Supposedly a few have some sort of glitch and if you send it back for a replacement it'll be fine. I must have had one of those bad ones. It wasn't a little bad, this was "Wow, this is un-usable" bad.

I've tried the Enhancer since I've bought an FM3. But didn't like that either. I went back to what I've used for years. Delay one side 20ms. Not the best solution but the best I've found so far.
Did u have the stereo or mono version of Mimiq? How did u have it hooked up? Used mono on one side, all wet / no dry, with 1 voice has not presented any problems for me. I don't like it in stereo or with multiple voices and some of the earlier Mimic firmware versions were problematic in stereo (phase issues) - you might have gotten one on old firmware.

Delay on one side with varying 20-30ms time gets closest to my ear.

Agreed.

I don’t think that LFO-based modulation can do the job, and instead suspect that the Mimiq looks for each pick attack and then randomizes a small delay value and separate small random pitch variance, and adds a little bit of randomized volume swell. And it does that for each pseudo-track it generates.

We can’t trigger those things, so LFO is the fall-back, but LFOs are too regular. They’re okay for live playing in a band mix because there’s so much going on that we can’t isolate the individual guitar notes in our heads, but in a recording situation we can hear the isolated track, and the LFO effect, especially on a sustained note or legato playing.

We need to be able to trigger little randomizations. I tried my hand at wiring that up in a preset but couldn’t find the right building-blocks to get there, and eventually gave up to wait for someone smarter than me to figure it out.

Did u have the stereo or mono version of Mimiq? How did u have it hooked up? Used mono on one side, all wet / no dry, with 1 voice has not presented any problems for me. I don't like it in stereo or with multiple voices and some of the earlier Mimic firmware versions were problematic in stereo (phase issues) - you might have gotten one on old firmware.

Delay on one side with varying 20-30ms time gets closest to my ear.
I tried it in Stereo only. Guitar to Mimiq then to two amps. I tried 1,2,3 dubs, played with the controls, it was terrible. I must have had an early version. Can't believe anyone would like it if they all sounded like that.

Here's my take on diy Mimiq using delay1 to do the Mimiqing + routed the way I like to use my real Mimiq pedal: 1 voice, all wet, on one side only, into 2 hard panned amps. I especially like Mimiq config'd this way before a pitch/harmony block also only on one side (the Mimiq'd side) (scene 3 in the patch below). Tricky part seems to be to have the delay time shifting randomly without the shifting being too noticeable (otherwise it starts to sound too much like a subtle chorus) - the real pedal seems to do this really well.

Attachments

• SPRINTMIQ.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom