Milk at Grocery Store....Why do they ask if you want in bag????

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Strangest fucking question. Like why would I not want it in a bag? Especially since if it leaks it will fuck up car. No other liquids they ask.....always just milk. I am having a Seinfeld moment.....walk with me....

Strangest fucking question. Like why would I not want it in a bag? Especially since if it leaks it will fuck up car. No other liquids they ask.....always just milk. I am having a Seinfeld moment.....walk with me....
I always say yes, because I have a steep flight of stairs to climb from my parking spot to my front door. Makes it easier to carry all my groceries on one arm.

I always say yes, because I have a steep flight of stairs to climb from my parking spot to my front door. Makes it easier to carry all my groceries on one arm.
I just think it is wasted breath. Strange logic to me to also only for that liquid. Never for ANYTHING else.....

Last edited:
I just think it is wasted breath. Strange logc to me to als only for that liquid. Never for ANYTHING else.....
They probably get enough people asking for it that they just started putting it into their bagging routine. My local grocer asks all the time.

If I’m only buying a gallon of milk or water, I say no and just carry it out by the handle.

Milk in bags? Of course! I mean, how else would anyone want to buy it? 👍

8162050f1ce7404085c9cbf5d540c64b.jpg

And yes, I know the OP meant something somewhat different... ;)

I always get mine double-bagged, as it helps insulate it against the heat here in AZ, and it keeps me from having to hold the thing with my hands, which don't get along with cold and hurt like hell when holding onto something cold. And to think, when I was in HS, I wanted to move to Quebec.... :D

I never put mine in a bag, I have a grocery carrier in the back of my truck that insulated that I put it in

Because the bots are programmed to say "wanna bag?" regardless what you buy.
And yes, I must admit that some employees of our store consistently ask, "Wanna bag?"

Hopefully you can appreciate when other employees try harder and ask in a complete sentence, "Do you need a bag?" Seems less invasive and impersonal that way. :)

And yes, I must admit that some employees of our store consistently ask, "Wanna bag?"

Hopefully you can appreciate when other employees try harder and ask in a complete sentence, "Do you need a bag?" Seems less invasive and impersonal that way. :)
Depends on where one shops I guess - reminds me of the frequently heard: "did you find everything you were looking for today?" (I dare not ever say "no" as this would likely touch off a lengthy process ending only in a confirmation that they indeed do not have what I had already confirmed they do not have based on my own search).

OK, while we are on this track... Why do they always ask "did you find everything that you need?" When you say no and tell them exactly what it is that you didn't find, there is ALWAYS just absolutely zero response whatsoever!

Depends on where one shops I guess - reminds me of the frequently heard: "did you find everything you were looking for today?" (I dare not ever say "no" as this would likely touch off a lengthy process ending only in a confirmation that they indeed do not have what I had already confirmed they do not have based on my own search).
Again, depends on what store and how thorough the sales associate is. Sometimes, if it's not exceptionally busy at the front registers, the sales associate can page management and find out if we have certain items in stock. There is a way to do this with the front registers, but I'm personally not authorized for this. A quick call to management often will tell you whether our store or a nearby one has product in stock. That. way, at least you have an idea of what direction your next shopping trip will take.

I seldom hear the "find everything you were looking for" phrase until one engages front store clerks. I actually prefer when a sales associate is working the floor for him or her to ask, "Do you need any help finding what you're looking for?" or "Do you have any questions?" That tells me the associate is doing their job by actively trying to assist customers with their needs, not just casually standing next to product to be placed on shelves in the aisle while texting on their cellphone...

Some people are heavily into not using plastic so much, bringing their own container, etc. -- not a bad thing.
This possible trend/awareness and it being cheaper to the store may lead to that question, I guess.
I could agee this can be irritating. I'd rather have the opposite and prefer to say "No TY" to a bag being offered. I do that often if I can carry it easily.

Some people are heavily into not using plastic so much, bringing their own container, etc.
In my minimization phase of life, I'm becoming a single-use plastic hater. Like most 'mericans, used to not notice.

Now, when I think of every plastic bag, straw, cup, lid, container -- sometimes being used for only seconds to minutes -- going quickly in the trash, I get depressed. Even eating "dine-in" at a food court, they automatically put a big clear plastic lid on the bowl, and I do try to stop them. Literally 100s of people a day in that location are walking to their table, taking off the lid and then throwing it away (if they bother to put it in recycling bin). Same thing for plastic utensils. Multiply 100,000 times per day over the planet and ...

I bring my own grocery bags (e.g nylon ones that can compact in a small self-contained bag) and keep utensils in my backpack which is almost always with me. It's minuscule dent, but I can't morally justify my immediate convenience over the planet. (Yes, I do cheat when I forget them :(. I need to go next level and get folding utensils that can go on my key chain or in my wallet.). Small battles I guess.

I wish there was a tax or surcharge on single-use plastic that might incentivize going back to washable or other more planet friendly approaches. IMO disposable/consumable stuff, plastic or "renewable", is just a bad approach to living on a finite planet with ever cheaper mass production and growing population. (end rant)

Last edited:
In my minimization phase of life, I'm becoming a single-use plastic hater. Like most 'mericans, used to not notice. [...]
Was just reading up a little for one of our European supermarkets.
I think since many years a simple reusable plastic bag was 25 cents -- a better one 80 cents.
Seems this shop has started to go back to paper bags for 25 cents recently. We used to have these for free 30+ years ago, but it hurt me even more thinking about trees... But seems they find the paper ones more recyclable. OTOH, you can often find stories how things don't really get recycled (maybe that goes for the plastic) ...

Are yours already paying or any bag for free?

Back
Top Bottom