Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater

John's answering question on his forum tonight, or was until a few minutes ago...

Q:
Hm. Might as well post something in here.

JP: Very kind of you to make a statement and be there for your fans. It's not necessary considering what you must be going through personally, but clearly has been much appreciated.

As I said in the original thread, it really sucks that Mike has made this decision. But, at the same time, I have complete confidence in you and the rest of the band to deliver more awesome, powerful, beautiful and emotionally moving music. As always, I'm eagerly awaiting the next album.

So... all the best.

PS: I'll echo another question (ignore this if you've since replied... this thread looks to be moving really quickly)... what DO you think of the Axe Fx?

A:

The Axe Fx is awesome!

SOURCE: http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/sho ... post889573

hrmm...it has occurred to me, does this mean they'll never again perform either the 12-step suite in its entirety or anything else mp wrote ever again? probably not, but what's constant motion without the constant motion-er...

and fwiw, even the most "commercialized" of dt's work still technically exceeds the mainstream by a long shot.

I'm pretty sure they have an agreement that they all work for Dream Theater. No Axl Rose BS. Rudess is already playing synth parts that he didn't write. I think JP is the only member in the band who is 100% irreplaceable since he has written like every riff. I'm actually excited to hear the new DT record... might even consider listening to the band once again.

Clark Kent said:
I'm pretty sure they have an agreement that they all work for Dream Theater. No Axl Rose BS. Rudess is already playing synth parts that he didn't write. I think JP is the only member in the band who is 100% irreplaceable since he has written like every riff. I'm actually excited to hear the new DT record... might even consider listening to the band once again.
you forgot jmx... :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I have been a fan since the first time I heard them which was also the first time I saw them on the Images and Words tour. I was floored and amazed and lucky me, this girl I was dating was telling me they were in town and I need to hear them cuz she was SURE I would love them. I honestly thought the name "Dream Theater" was totally gay ass and was expecting some stupid shred pop thing or something. Imagine my surprise when I first heard Pull Me Under. Anyway...within 3 or 4 hours I was was watching them on stage. Galactic Cowboys opened for them and they were pretty cool too actually. SO my love for this band waaay back. I think the last real solid effort that they made was Scenes From A Memory. I really liked 6 Degrees a lot but it was sort of spotty and then, each release was just sort of spotty from there. Its sad but on the last album, I thought Wither was a good track but its hard to swallow cuz it's just not true DT. Count of Tuscany is the closest thing that they have put together in years that I think represents the better work. It seems that Portnoy is a control freak, has a very high opinion of himself in terms of the "running of the band". The guy is going on like 50 and he sounds like some punk bitches that I played with in high school on this post. You know, the type that you would take out knock his fucking teeth out just for being such a douchebag. He is incredible as a musician though. It's a sad day but DT is an institution and I am hoping they will give us something between Images/Awake/Scenes From A Memory. Oh..not a fan of Avenged Seven Fold....still trying to figure out what the deal is with this band. Just cant connect with them. I have tried and...nothing.

Back
Top Bottom