Mike Campbell Rig presets

Here is a take on it. I didn't program any scenes, I just put all the effects in and balanced the amps. In the rig rundown video, he has the wah really late in the chain. I mimicked that. It's a bit unconventional. Same thing with the delay placement.

Attachments

• Mike Campbell.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 86
Here is a take on it. I didn't program any scenes, I just put all the effects in and balanced the amps. In the rig rundown video, he has the wah really late in the chain. I mimicked that. It's a bit unconventional. Same thing with the delay placement.

This is weird. I loaded it onto my FM9 and had to delete and early pitch block to get it under the dsp limit. BUT, nothing sounds like Mike Campbell. And there are scenes labeled: ODS, Femder, Vox, beano, Floyd, Hendrix, Edge and S Rock. They all sound really weird and unusable. Something definitely went wrong....

See what you guys think of this. It's so hard to get EQ right when everyone has different guitars - so, adjust to where it works. Also, per usual, it's surprising to hear how bright and mid-forward guitars in famous tunes are...I romanticized them to be these huge massive tones...and then you hear it and it's kind of shocking.

Attachments

• Mike Campbell.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 36
Checking out this preset scenes 1 and 3 have channel C for the cab block selected but both cabs are muted on that channel. What was the intended cab?

Well poop. Yeah. I know what I did…that’s Mary Jane and Running Down? I’ll look, but I think I was using the Channel A for both on the cab. Should be the tweed deluxe mix I believe.

I've had better luck with the 'Class-A 30W' and 'Class-A 30W TB' models.??

Last edited:
“The basic formula for Campbell's amp rig is to crank up some low-watt amps and let the PA do all the heavy lifting. The bulk of his sound comes from a 1963 Fender Princeton and a 1954 Fender tweed Deluxe. He augments that with a custom Fender Excelsior and a Fender Vibrotane for Leslie-type effects.“
IMG-2195.webp

I had forgotten what I did...it should be right. Forgot I put a Brownface Super with a 1x8 Champ cab for Last Dance...just thought it broke up more like the record. These are more dialed in to sound like the record, so there's a lot of low end taken out of these.

1. Mary Jane - 6G4 Super with #39
2. The Waiting - Tweed Deluxe with #81 and #269
3. Running Down A Dream - Tweed Deluxe with #39
4. Breakdown - Princeton with #73
5. I Should Have Known It - Tweed Deluxe with #81 and #269
6. Refugee - Tweed Deluxe with #81 and #269

I think they’re cagey about this stuff. I haven’t been able to find a definitive source saying what was used…but MC said they initially used Vox’s and Vox Super Beatles like through the 80’s

Back
Top Bottom