Might pick up an actual amp... for the kiddo

Dendrite

Inspired
So my 15 year old is still playing, but his low wattage blackstar is not keeping up with live drums and other guitars... (petty, white stripes, a little gnr, ya know. Fun stuff.)
I have received full wife clearance to fix the problem. So fix it I shall :) Weird stipulation though: it has to be new. Don’t ask.
So opportunity knocks. I’m actually thinking bad cat cub or maybe Mesa (power switching seems like a great idea). After all, there’s no guarantee that he’ll stick with it, so I could always end up inheriting... US made.
Fractal could be useful, but trying to keep it very basic for him with minimal complexity is important. Just seems starting with a real amp teaches you what you need to know, and teaches your ear as well.
Looking for your thoughts!

Last edited:
i was about to come in and say that i wouldnt really call the mesa mark series basic but i do think having to come up with a real amp kinda helps. some people need to be forced to learn that there are different tones found by playing with tone knobs and volume rather than having a few dozen presets.

Mesa Mark Five:25 or :35 or just go for broke and JP2C. Backstair are pretty versatile on a budget, HT series are pretty good. Never tried the ID Core models. I have an HT100 MKII head and a Series One 104EL34. Both go clean to mean pretty well. I Got the Series one to do a wet dry wet rig because it has midi channel switching. None of the HT series have midi but another company makes an adapter for the MK1 models but nothing available for the MKII models.

Actually,the Vox Valvetroix has 8 presets, does some modeling, and has effects,etc. I have a 50-watt that I used to use at church, and I could set up clean, mid gain, lead-boost with echo, etc. it has a bunch of amp styles modeled, and a tube power amp, and will definitely keep up with the band. A 40-watt one would probably do the trick, and won't break the bank - just be sure to get the foots witch with it. (2 banks of 4 presets can be accessed by the footswitch)

Back
Top Bottom