MIDI use with EVH head and 4CM?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I was able to sync up my EVH head with the AX8 For the blue channel In the scenes where I want it
However when I put the EVH head in learn mode and try to get the clean\channel one to be assigned to scene three it does not save.
In the editor on the Midi page foreseen three I have tried a variety of combinations and none of them save the green channel in scene three where I want it. The Ax8 Has learned to go back to the Blue channel because when I use the EVH foot switch her to put it on the green channel and then hit any of my other scenes it changes the amp channel so that part is synced up

What might I be missing? I will add a screenshot of the editor midi page shortly

I use AX8 with my Marshall JVM. I control the JVM channel changes using midi from my AX8.

My process is; (after connecting everything via midi etc)

To set AX8 scene 1 to amp channel relationship
  1. Assign the PC numbers to each scene in the AX8
  2. Change AX8 to scene 2
  3. Set amp channel / settings
  4. Press the midi learn switch on my amp
  5. On the AX8, select the scene 1
To set AX8 Scene 2 to amp channel relationship
  1. Assign the PC numbers to each scene in the AX8. <-- assume this is already done in the previous step
  2. Change AX8 to scene 1 (or 3-8) <-- should already be on scene 1 from the previous exercise
  3. Set amp channel / settings for scene 2
  4. Press the midi learn switch on my amp
  5. On the AX8, select the scene 2
You must make sure that the AX8 is on a scene number that is not the one that you are trying to learn in the amp.

IE - if you want to save your Amp settings for your AX8 Scene 1, make sure your AX8 is on Scene 2 (or any other scene) before you press the midi learn function. This way, when the amp is set to midi learn, the AX8 will send the correct PC as it changes to Scene 1.

I hope this makes sense and provides some help. Best of luck

*Disclaimer, I have never owned an EVH amp so I am hoping that it's midi learn feature works in a similar fashion to my JVM's.

Don’t you set the Scenes to the midi message you want to send? I’d guess the Amp channels can store only 1 message/location. So you’d set the channels to 1, 2 and 3, then adjust the Scenes to send the number you want. That’s how most amps work.

@chris top and bottom say 'scenes' hen you say 'midi message' are you referencing the pc#?

@mmpete pretty much what I am doing. On the EVh you press 2 lights and it blinks (learn mode) you go to a different scene and hit the button on the Ax8 then disable the learn mode. for whatever reason it wants to either stay on the Blue ch or the green. I am trying to assign Green ch only to scene 3. -see screen shot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 7.07.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 7.07.39 PM.png
    745.5 KB · Views: 7
@chris top and bottom say 'scenes' hen you say 'midi message' are you referencing the pc#?

@mmpete pretty much what I am doing. On the EVh you press 2 lights and it blinks (learn mode) you go to a different scene and hit the button on the Ax8 then disable the learn mode. for whatever reason it wants to either stay on the Blue ch or the green. I am trying to assign Green ch only to scene 3. -see screen shot
It’s “learning” the midi message being sent. But I suspect each channel can only learn and remember one midi message. So you probably can’t have the Clean channel learn PC1 and PC5. It can probably only learn one of those (say PC1) and then you need to change what message the Scene sends. So if Scene 5 happens to be clean, you need to adjust the Scene message to send PC1 again, rather than trying to make the amp learn several messages for the same channel.

If you keep making the clean channel “learn” a new thing it’s probably forgetting the old thing it previously learned.

Scene 3 is the clean tone, All the others are ch 2 just like the screen shot shows. Not sure what your talking about with scene 5?

This is what worked for future reference!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 2.32.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 2.32.41 PM.png
    742.8 KB · Views: 7
As per our message chats.
Setting PC# to your amp channels then assigning and saving to a scene should work.
Is the EVH midi learn the same as the Machete? As per doc I sent?

Ooops - forgot to add that bit in. Chris was correct - you needed to add the PC to each Scene in the midi section too. Glad that you got it working.

Back
Top Bottom