MIDI to control SCENES

Yes you can. By default, CC number 34 is used, with values 0 to 7 setting scenes 1 to 8.

Thanks. I used the I/O pages to find the "scenes" MIDI. I clicked "enter" and a blinking "LEARNING" sign came up. Stayed that way for 1/2 hour, so I gave up. I know I'm close but I'm missing something. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

You don't want to use learn... But what if you did, what else did you do? The learn function is waiting for you to send a midi CC from your controller.

Scenes use CC#34 with specific data values. You really probably don't want to change it.

This is a bit different than most "IA" CC use cases where the value sent is 0 (off) or 127 (on).

Also note that as mentioned values 0-7 map to scenes 1-8, but they are actually modulo 8 so values 8-15, 16-23, etc also map the same way.

Is your midi controller set to send to the correct channel? I've wasted hours in the past wondering why things are not working the way they should only to find I skipped set one :)

Thanks, Fractal friends. I'm new to MIDI, so I will have to look into things. I long ago embraced digital tech as a working guitarist, but MIDI is something I thought was reserved for keyboards. But the potential power of using an external controller to change scenes on the Axe in real time, on actual gigs, is so intriguing. This beast is so powerful! Thanks again.

Thanks, Fractal friends. I'm new to MIDI, so I will have to look into things. I long ago embraced digital tech as a working guitarist, but MIDI is something I thought was reserved for keyboards. But the potential power of using an external controller to change scenes on the Axe in real time, on actual gigs, is so intriguing. This beast is so powerful! Thanks again.
Ok, so make sure you understand the differences between PC (program change) and CC (control change) messages.

PCs are used to change presets (aka, programs) while CCs are used to change values of settings. Primarily this is for turning effects on and off by sending a CC number and a data value, and typically those values are simple on / off (0 / 127). Sometimes the data is arbitrary such as when controlling something like volume.

What midi controller are you using? The MFC 101 will do scenes "out of the box".

Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. Initially, I was just going to place various useful presets in adjacent locations and use MIDI to simply switch up and down to access them. But the idea of using a stompable MIDI controller to change Scenes within a single preset seems really cool. The Mouse is preset to channel 1, and goes up to 16. Since I still am absorbing the concept of MIDI, I'm not sure if that matters. I really appreciate the help I'm getting on this forum. The Axe is simultaneously very user-friendly and maddeningly difficult. Cheers!

Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. Initially, I was just going to place various useful presets in adjacent locations and use MIDI to simply switch up and down to access them. But the idea of using a stompable MIDI controller to change Scenes within a single preset seems really cool. The Mouse is preset to channel 1, and goes up to 16. Since I still am absorbing the concept of MIDI, I'm not sure if that matters. I really appreciate the help I'm getting on this forum. The Axe is simultaneously very user-friendly and maddeningly difficult. Cheers!
Ok... Pretty sure the Midi Mouse only does PC messages. Almost all midi devices support channels 1-16... That's more about how the controller and device(s) communicate.

So, you'll probably need to get a controller that does both PC and CC messages, and more specifically one that allows for the data value for the CC to be assigned.

The simpler controllers have CC, but only do on/off values.

If you want something fairly full featured but still small and not too expensive, you might look for the Morningstar MC-6 or the BJ Devices TB-6.

Midi can be a bit daunting at first, but once you get used to it you'll never want to be without it ;)

Thank you! I would not have thought of that. I need to spend some time learning about MIDI. I really did think it was just for keyboard players. I've been playing a long time, and embraced digital modelling years ago via the Vox Valvetrnix series of amps, which sound great. But once I saw that Dweezil, Lifeson and Vai (among others) had gone to the Axe, that did it for me. And it sounds so damn good.

I have to say, this is the most supportive online forum I've never been a part of. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom