Midi thru question...

AAEN

Experienced
I have a rather complex midi set-up - and I am receiving my II and MFC shortly after new year. And would like to know:

Will a midi signal received in the midi-in of the AXE II be relayed out (or thru) on the MFC-101 when connected via the RJ-45 cable?

Kind regards

AAEN

I believe the answer to your question is "No". The MFC will work in either expansion mode (cat5) or midi mode. In the expansion mode, you will send midi to and receive midi from the AXE but will not have that info available at the midi out of the MFC. You will have to run a midi cable back from the Axe to control any midi device from the front of stage.

I tried to control a GR 55 guitar synth this way. It would only work with the above method.

Hope that helps.

So what you're saying Cayingst, is that I can run the MFC via ethernet and communicate to my AXE II like normal. However, if I want to use ableton on stage as well, I'd have to run a midi cable from the Axe II to the laptop? Will it work if I use the USB expansion ?

My goal is to use Ableton as my looper.

Thank you!

I am not certain about the what is information is available via the USB as I did not try that.

While in expansion mode, I connected a boss FS-6 to the switch input of the MFC and ran cat-5 back to the AXE, then a midi cable out of the Axe to a Lexicon unit (also in my rack). Using the FS-6, I could bypass a Lexicon unit thru the MFC.

After that, I connected a midi cable out of the MFC directly to the GR-55. using the FS-6 through the MFC, I could not bypass the synth. Finally I connected a cable out of the axe back to the synth and it worked liked a charm.

I verified through e-mail to Fractal that the MFC can either be operated in the expansion mode (no midi present at the midi out) or midi mode but not both.

Sorry that doesn't answer the USB question.

Back
Top Bottom