Midi software to control the Axe during a performance?

MicFarlow

Experienced
Vendor
Hi All,

In the band I am in there are currently two Axe-Fx's on hand, soon to be 4.

Our situation is such that we would love to be able to move about and explore the outer reaches of our wireless units but it is quite a hassle to have to make it all the way back to our foot controllers to change patches or switch stuff on or off or change tempo's.

Is there a software package out there that uses a timeline approach to controlling midi equipment that would allow for pretty deep midi control and still provide click output to keep us all on track?

Seems like I recall some folks using Sonar to do patch changes or another software package that is similar. Does going that route also for any deeper midi programming like fading in the volume or changing the delay tempo or switch effects on and off within a patch?

Lastly, would any such software be able to handle 3 or 4 Axe-Fx's and also 2 or 3 keyboards at the same time as well?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or at the very least letting me know this is not an option!

Mick

Yes, any MIDI sequencer would allow you to do at least most those things. That is, any parameter of the Axe including patch selection which can be adjusted by MIDI could be automated.
There may be some deep editing of the Axe which requires the Axe-Edit software. Sonar is a good example, and perhaps most important for live use is that Sonar doesn't employ
customer unfriendly copy protection schemes which could sink a live set.

"Be careful what you hope for, because you may get it"

Remember that if you automate a performance, you become locked to things. Some sequencers would allow tempo following from a drummers beat, but this opens up new problems for you.

One option is "semi - automation". Perhaps your soundboard / roadie / stage manager would be involved. You could have presets which set up patches per song, or per part like verse, chorus.
This can get as complex as you want. Just remember that introducing more technology opens up potential problems. Being able to fall back to your footpedals is good. You would want to rehearse
and practice with certain problems happening on purpose, so you know how to keep the show flowing.

Something like the LF series foot controllers can be setup all over to have controllers in many locations in master/slave configurations.

I think some guys are using Abelton Live too for stuff.

Back
Top Bottom