midi question...

vondano

Inspired
from the manual:

" From a MIDI standpoint these presets are arranged in 3 banks of 128 each. To recall presets above 127 your MIDI device must be capable of transmitting a MIDI Bank Select Coarse controller message (controller #0). The value of this message selects the bank (0 - 2). Subsequent MIDI Program Change messages access programs from the selected bank."

ok,

so what i understand is that by default, my MFC will be accessing only bank A, and I need to add a kind of CC to get to bank B and C ?

can I move bank A to B and bank B to C so that my own preset be store in bank A?

is that correct?

how do I do that?

i have a FC-200 btw...

thanx!

Nico

sorry if my question is weird... i'm soon to own a Standard so I keep RTFM ;)

I think midi has a limitation that only lets you access the first 128 presets. So that means "no" to your question "I need to add a kind of CC to get to bank B and C ?"

However, yes you can move banks around. You can either use the Editor (I don't) or another tools such as MidiOx or SendSX (which I use). If you use MidiOx or SendSX, you need to edit the bank to change it's target location, and then transfer it to your Axe-FX. It's all documented in the wiki and throughout the postings of this forum. I think the Editor has a more user-friendly way of doing it (but since it screwed up my banks, I do not let the Editor "write" to my Axe, ever - others use it with no issues, so your mileage may vary).

Daniel

thanx for your reply,

i'll move the bank A and B to B and C for sure since midi mapping is only available to bank A... wich I need to use for user preset...

nico

Before you attempt to move anything, back-up all 3 of your banks to your PC. That way, if anything goes wrong, you have a safe restore point.

Dpoirier said:
I think midi has a limitation that only lets you access the first 128 presets. So that means "no" to your question "I need to add a kind of CC to get to bank B and C ?"

Actually that's exactly how the higher presets are accessed via midi--the last value the Axe has received for CC #0 (0, 1, or anything from 2-127) determines which group it will load from when a program change is sent.

vondano said:
since midi mapping is only available to bank A
you might be on an older version of the manual, or maybe that was never corrected, or perhaps you're just not talking about the Axe-Fx's mapping feature. the Axe-Fx can map PCs 0-127 to any patch in banks A or B, but not bank C.

alternatively, as already mentioned, you can access all three banks using CC#0 -- wiki article here. :)

from the wiki:

"NOTE: Mapping is only supported within Bank A (presets 0 - 127)."

that's what got me confuse...

good to know mapping now works on bank A and B

about sending CC with a value of 2...

"To access Bank A, send CC#0 with a value of 0.
To access Bank B, send CC#0 with a value of 1.
To access Bank C, send CC#0 with a value of 2."

i tought pedals could only send 1s and 0s... exept expression pedalt wich goes from 0 to 127...

am I missing something? how do you send a 2 ?

thanx!

nico

p.s. thanx to mod for moving this tread to the midi section... my bad...

vondano said:
about sending CC with a value of 2...

"To access Bank A, send CC#0 with a value of 0.
To access Bank C, send CC#0 with a value of 2."

i tought pedals could only send 1s and 0s... exept expression pedalt wich goes from 0 to 127...

am I missing something? how do you send a 2 ?

thanx!

nico
I checked out the FC-200's manual, and you're right. That controller only allows you to adjust the Controller Number in "Control Change Mode" (it sends a value of either 0 or 127, and that can't be configured).

However, check out page 22 of the FC-200's manual. Apparently, you can optionally send a Bank Select message with the Program Change. There seem to be some limitations though -- it's pretty confusing to read, and I can't easily tell if you'll be able to select all 384 of the Axe-Fx presets with that pedal or not.

thanx for your help,

yeah... that damn page 22... lol it is quite confusing indeed...

i'll have to make some test once I receive my Axe-fx...

I also know that my fc-200 can send program change higher than 128 (if i'm not mistaken...)

by default, the unit does stop at 128, but i can set the 2nd digit value to go has high as 99 (instead of the default 12) (i.e. :12 would let me go up to 12 + buton # 10 so 130... setting the max to 30 should let me go to 400 then...)

i might be wrong here (in fact I do think program change stop at 128, but I don't know why the fc-200 let me go has high as 1000)... i have not tested this... i will have to figure it out... but the manual clearly (well... not clearly at all at p.22...) states that the fc 200 can send Bank change via CC # 0 and 32 wich are the one used in the Axe-fx...

hope this makes sense...

anyway, being able to move bank A to bank C gives me the option to store my user preset for 1 to 128... if i am to use some factory preset from the 2 other bank, i guess I can just copy them to bank A and recall them using my MFC...

thanx again,

Nico

Accessing the Banks via MIDI Bank Select Coarse (CC#0)
To access Bank A, send CC#0 with a value of 0.
To access Bank C, send CC#0 with a value of 2.

I was wondering about midi bank change possibilities myself. Can the rocktron midimate send CC#0 values?

corona said:
Can the rocktron midimate send CC#0 values?

Yes, but not in the most convenient way... you could set one of the CC buttons to #0 and be able to decide whether a preset recalls from bank A or C based on the button state, which might not be very useful since you still only have access to 128 Axe presets that way. You could also have a pedal connected to the MM and set it for CC#0 on a preset used solely for changing banks. Going into pedal CC assign mode would let you confirm when the value is 1 for bank B, which would be the trickiest one to access. As long as you can deal with the MM button states being what they are (same when using Axe preset 1/129/257, 2/130/258, etc.) that would work. If you set the CC buttons as Externals on the Axe you're not really limited by button states since you can change the curve when assigning bypass/whatever for a block within the preset. You'd just have to get used to LED on meaning a block was bypassed if you needed it to be recalled in the opposite state of whatever was controlled in bank A with that MM preset.

Thanks Bakerman. Sounds somewhat confusing. I'll have to digest that next week, when I have some time to think things thru.

Back
Top Bottom