MIDI Question...I'm a MIDI noob

gatkins10

Greetings, I have been setting up my new AxeFxII. This is changing everything about how I play and look at tone. No words to describe how amazing this 2U box is. My Boogie Mark V has it's dust cover on it since I got the AxeFxII 1 month ago. Same with my TC Electronic G-System Limited.
My question..........
The MFC101 is still on back order and I have a gig coming up. Could I use my old (old now since I don't use it anymore) G-System Limited to change patches or scenes on the AxeFx via MIDI to get me by in a pinch? If so any clues on how to hook it up, the Gsys has MIDI in and out? Or maybe a website or another user that might be able to help get me in the right direction? Thanks all.

RAWK!

On page 46 of your manual it shows that midi program changes can be sent and even mapped. You should be able to map your TC switches to the presets you'll need. Somebody who owns the TC device might be able to tell you exactly how to do it, but at minimum you're going to need a midi cable going from the output of TC to midi input on the Axe. I bet if you hook this cable up, it'll just work to switch patches unless the Axe and TC aren't set to the same midi channel. If it does work you could just move the patches you'll need to the first x number of slots on your Axe and they should be controlled by the first bank(s) on your TC.

Hook up the midi cable and try it.

Hey saw your message on YouTube.

Yes, a simple midi cable from g-system midi out to axefx in should let you change presets by hitting preset buttons on the TC. I can't remember if you have to enable program change out on the TC, but I think it should just work.

I had a g system when I got my axe ultra a long time ago and wanted to build an uber rig with my Mesa roadster etc. well the ultra was so awesome I sold everything else! But at first I detaches the g system brain and racked it with my axe, then a short midi cable between those. I connected the floorboard to the brain with an Ethernet cable.

Do what I did and remove the brain of the G System and mount it under the Axe Fx in a rack. You only need a Cat 5 cable coming from your rack, as opposed to Midi and a power supply.

IT's ALIVE!!! Midi cable Gsys>Midiout>AxeFx>Midi In, that's it. Set the Gsystem to begin with patch A1, and it starts with 000 on the AxeFx. The gig will go on! Still can't wait for my "waiting list" invite for the MFC101, but this will work for my upcoming gigs! RAWK! Thanks fellas.

Back
Top Bottom