Wish MIDI payload for FC

I don't know whether this is non-trivial or not for the Fractal dev team, but essentially all MIDI can be broken down to hex strings and since we already have PC and CC then is it really that difficult to add in some of the other MIDI possibilities? Or is it not a use case scenario with a high enough priority for Fractal to address this?

If only we knew...
It seems like low hanging fruit. A lot of folks use external gear with their FAS device, and it would greatly simplify control strategies. I would love to to use an FC controller and send the occasional command from my FAS device to ableton for stop, play, and go to next song.

That’s my point. I want to connect the my axe to my macbook and send midi messages to control ableton. Not asking them to make the FC controllers stand-alone midi controllers.
you can do this now with up to 6 separate commands as there are 6 Control Switches which can send PC or CC commands. you'd also have to connect a MIDI-USB interface from the MIDI out of the Axe to your computer.

i do exactly this to control Quantiloop on my iPad. 4 Loop switches, and 2 Stop switches (Stop End of Loop/Clear and Stop NOW commands).

MIDI out from the Axe/FM does not go through USB, so the interface is needed. 6 commands because there are only 6 Control Switches. but with that, it is possible.

you can do this now with up to 6 separate commands as there are 6 Control Switches which can send PC or CC commands. you'd also have to connect a MIDI-USB interface from the MIDI out of the Axe to your computer.
Useful but having more than just PC and CC commands would be very welcome. I've said it before, but for me it would be about sending midi notes to either trigger an outboard synth module or control the DMX lighting desk.

Useful but having more than just PC and CC commands would be very welcome. I've said it before, but for me it would be about sending midi notes to either trigger an outboard synth module or control the DMX lighting desk.
There’s a shocking amount of software and hardware that only support mapping of notes, not PC and CC

Every MIDI message has a status byte and up to two data bytes. The status byte also includes the appropriate channel number so if we use x as the channel identifier you get something similar to the following for channel messages:

Control Change - Bx
Program Change - Cx
Note Off - 8x
Note On - 9x

Channel mode messages would use the 1st data byte and if Note On/Off was implemented in the MIDI block then you would really need a 7B for All Notes Off.

Since we already have Bx and Cx then what is the amount of effort to implement other MIDI messages? As I've already said, without knowing the fractal environment it is difficult to say but wow... this would expand the possibilities immensely.

Back
Top Bottom