Midi over USB?

Kfletch

Ok. This is probably a silly question but I’m working on setting up the FM9 to send midi messages to an iPad to control Quantiloop.

Does the FM9 send midi messages out over USB?

Is there a setting I have to hit to get it to do this?

Thanks!

Thanks for responding. I'm checking out the WIDI Master and other MIDI interfaces. Looks like it should work that way but it would be nice not to need anything else and have it sent over USB. I added this to the FM9 wish list. (not sure if its possible... Another modeler I had can do this but this is a minor thing, the FM9 far outshines what I've used before)

Thanks!

Thanks for responding. I'm checking out the WIDI Master and other MIDI interfaces. Looks like it should work that way but it would be nice not to need anything else and have it sent over USB. I added this to the FM9 wish list. (not sure if its possible... Another modeler I had can do this but this is a minor thing, the FM9 far outshines what I've used before)

Thanks!
So the usb doesn't put out control switch midi ???? I was hoping it does. I would love to use an Ipad as Looper just connected over the USB port

Nope. I wish it did. That’s why I wanted it too.

I like to use Quantiloop on the iPad and I set up the control switch midi/per preset switches to use the looper.

I bought a simple usb midi interface and connected it to the iPad and it works

Would be nice not to need this though

Thats a bummer. I thought only the midi in to midi out messages won't be transferred to the usb. But also the intern midi messages? doesn't it state on the manual that there is midi over usb ????

Nope. I wish it did. That’s why I wanted it too.

I like to use Quantiloop on the iPad and I set up the control switch midi/per preset switches to use the looper.

I bought a simple usb midi interface and connected it to the iPad and it works

Would be nice not to need this though
AND ... if you use such an adapter. You need an usb hub for the iPad to. Right?

Thats a bummer. I thought only the midi in to midi out messages won't be transferred to the usb. But also the intern midi messages? doesn't it state on the manual that there is midi over usb ????
I think you’re right. I think in the manual it says it’s a usb midi device. But I can’t get it to send messages via usb.

Yes. I used a usb hub. My iPad has a usb c port so I just bought a cheap one off Amazon. I also plug in my audio interface to record on the iPad with GarageBand

Last edited:
I think you’re right. I think in the manual it says it’s a usb midi device. But I can’t get it to send messages via usb.

Yes. I used a usb hub. My iPad has a usb c port so I just bought a cheap one off Amazon. I also plug in my audio interface to record on the iPad with GarageBand
This is strange isn't it? Does someone know more than we do? ;)

Suggestions instead of hoping for MIDI out of Fractal's USB...

From Fractal's MIDI Out DIN jack to USB is one cable. Search Amazon for 'midi to usb cable'. From USB to lightning is another adaptor. Search Amazon for 'ipad usb lightning' or 'ipad camera adaptor'.

I like to do it wirelessly although it takes a iPad few clicks to connect after each power up. Search Amazon for 'bluetooth midi'. That gets plugged into Fractal's MIDI In and Out DIN jacks. iPads have built in bluetooth to connect to it.

I currently have a FX III and FM9 connected to one iPad. One wired and the other wireless. Both have the same presets and both listen to MIDI on the same channel according to Setup | MIDI/Remote | Send MIDI PC. It is very satisfying to see them both change to the same preset when I change songs on the iPad. I could have used a MIDI to MIDI cable from one fractal to the other to avoid a cable from the iPad but I don't have that cable.

Fractal can also send MIDI using the MIDI block. Per the MIDI block's WIKI page:
"The MIDI block only sends data out the MIDI Out DIN jack. It does NOT send to the USB."

Suggestions instead of hoping for MIDI out of Fractal's USB...

From Fractal's MIDI Out DIN jack to USB is one cable. Search Amazon for 'midi to usb cable'. From USB to lightning is another adaptor. Search Amazon for 'ipad usb lightning' or 'ipad camera adaptor'.

I like to do it wirelessly although it takes a iPad few clicks to connect after each power up. Search Amazon for 'bluetooth midi'. That gets plugged into Fractal's MIDI In and Out DIN jacks. iPads have built in bluetooth to connect to it.

I currently have a FX III and FM9 connected to one iPad. One wired and the other wireless. Both have the same presets and both listen to MIDI on the same channel according to Setup | MIDI/Remote | Send MIDI PC. It is very satisfying to see them both change to the same preset when I change songs on the iPad. I could have used a MIDI to MIDI cable from one fractal to the other to avoid a cable from the iPad but I don't have that cable.

Fractal can also send MIDI using the MIDI block. Per the MIDI block's WIKI page:
"The MIDI block only sends data out the MIDI Out DIN jack. It does NOT send to the USB."
HIHO :)

Of course it is possible to make it with adapters. That's not the problem. The problem is that I need to use the fractals audio interface and a midicontroler or the build in midi Messages. So I need at least one Midi to USB adapter + one USB Hub on the iPad. The Ipad needs to be in reach of my Hands. So it is on a stand. If you use a hub, this will swing around on the butt of the Ipad with at least two USB cables connected. And this is simply not a roadworthy solution. Wireless over bluetooth is no solution too because it is about looping. So latency is important.

And all this could be solved If midi over USB (which already existed in the AXE II) would be available. There is soooo much you could to with Ipad Audio Apps but the connection is not designed for the road.

Back
Top Bottom