midi merger and how to use it with my other midi gear

WannaRock

Hey group, I ask a question on another posting and was told I might look at a midi solutions product (midi merger). The only thing is midi is not even in my vocabulary "I have a feeling that is about to change" Maybe I can describe what I am trying to do and you can tell me if possible where in my chain the midi merger should be placed.

I have a Marshall JVM midi controlled amp
Fractal axe Ultra
I have a fcb1010 with uno chip midi controller footswitch
I also have a Edirol Fa-101 audio interface that I run by firewire to my computer, this device also has midi, I guess I should tap into it because this device is the only one of my devices that will communicate with my computer and the fractal and fcb1010 both have software to access settings.

My plan is to use the fcb1010 midi controller to controll the fractal axe and switch channels on the Marshall JVM

I use the Edirol Fa-101 to take the sound from my amp and fractal and send it to my computer using S/pdif from fractal to edirol hopefully.

I guess I don't understand where to put the midi solutions product, or even what its role is? Will all my midi devices use a different midi channel?

This is alot of information, I know nothing about midi and am totally lost. The last time I tried just messing around just trying to connect just the fcb to the fa-101, I wasn't even able to get the fcb1010 to communicate with my computer. Which happens to be a laptop.

Anyway thanks alot for your time, hopefully someone will be able to fill in a few wholes.

I ask a question on another posting and was told I might look at a midi solutions product (midi merger).

I have one of those.

Fractal axe Ultra

And one of them.

I also have a Edirol Fa-101

And one of those...!! Geez are you following me around? ;)

So firstly you wont be able to plug the axefx's digital out straight into the FA-101 because the axefx is co-ax SPDIF and the FA-101 is optical SPDIF. You can get converters between the 2 formats, but I haven't bothered yet. I run the balanced outputs into input 3+4 on the back of the FA-101. I can't tell it's gone through an extra D/A and A/D step.

I'm still having some trouble with the Footcontroller + Axefx + Axeedit/PC combination all working together at once, but I've only tried it once and I may have messed it up. However we could probably work together and sort something out?

That sounds great Fret, I was hoping it was an opitcal SPDIF. I guess the extra midi merger piece of gear is a must have? It is going to take me quite a while to get a hold on what I already have vs what I need to get my unit up and running to my liking. When you say you can tell it is going through an extra D/A and A/D converter, is a matter of time or sound quality? Thanks alot for your feedback. I will try to stop stalking..

Does anyone know if there is a USB device, that could take the place of my fa-101 and the midi merger in one unit? Thanks for your comments

Does anyone know if there is a USB device, that could take the place of my fa-101 and the midi merger in one unit? Thanks for your comments

I havn't personally used this but check out the MIDISPORT2x2?

PS - please don't start more than one thread on the one subject... I think you have like 4 threads open about not being able to update the firmware.

Similiar setup here;

AxeFX Ultra
H&K Switchblade (midi controllable amp head - only takes program changes)
Edirol FA-66 Audio Interface (I use a SPDIF converter to attach the sound out to a PC)
Rocktron All Access

I went ahead and got the MOTU Midi EXpress XT (with the latest EEPROM)

I got it to to work but had some issues.....it's currently not all connected together because I only take my AxeFx and Midi board to gigs now....but when I'm messin around at home I've had it working. I had more than the aforementioned plugged into it and there was obviously some extra MIDI data being generated as the AxeFX would show it was receiving MIDI and my Axe-Edit would lock up more frequently as well (it doesn't normally)....but it did work - I just never isolated the problem.

I too looked at the Midi Solutions stuff....decided to go with the Express XT for the routing, merging functions....it has a software interface but no manual...default it all data coming in on one of the midi ports go out ALL the out midi ports...there are 8 ins/outs.....

Thanks

Thanks for the replys. Sorry to open up different threads, I think I did 5 topics in the midi area. This is the second most replied to threa. I have 4 threads open with a different question or a differnent unit and three didn't get any responses. It seems most people lately are more interested in the new unit section than the midi questions area.

After sitting and sitting trying to do everything I could think of, a person starts to get aggriavated, or desperate. I ended up trying three different devices over 2.x days. I wasn't getting any hits to keep me moving, so as I would switch devices or encounter a new problem I would post a new topic. I tried searching for a delete post function but couldn't find one.

I finally got my unit updated using the fa101. I have been playing and really enjoying my new device. I don't think I will be in such a desperate hole again where I will need to keep posting an can't wait. I just got a new unit and had to know if it was me "most likely" or my midi interface, or even the fractal.

Sorry for mis-reading your ad/da converter statement. I am getting old, arthritic with bad eyes and they will probably be looking at putting me down one of these days..:)

Anyway thanks for your comments and your help, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom