Wish MIDI MERGE, soft THRU for OUT - MIDI SCENE BLOCK send to THRU or OUT option

BobXX

Inspired
AXE FXIII hasn't any possibility to merge its MIDI IN and OUT (like paradoxically FM9 and FM3 do as standard),
so internal MIDI commands cannot be sent along with the main MIDI daisy chain.

== WISH ==

1)
in the GLOBAL SETTINGS add "MERGE MIDI OUT/SOFT THRU" user's option, so all incoming MIDI can optionally be soft-merged with AF3 commands to the MIDI OUT connector, at least as a compatible mode with FM9/FM3

AXE FXIII currently splits MIDI flows into two separate daisy chains.
To keep data together we are forced to add an external Merge box so to (re)join data coming from the same device... a little weird.

(FOOT) MIDI CONTR. OUT ==> IN [AF3 (Ch1)] THRU ==> | MERGE | ==> IN [DEV2 (Ch2)] THRU ==>....
------------------------------------------------------- OUT==> | BOX |

Otherwise we are forced to put AF3 it in the last position of the MIDI chain instead of the first positions,
loosing its "director's role" in the MIDI domain.

Do to connectors' limitations FM3 and FM9 already merge OUT and THRU in one single flow/connector.

2) for a better flexibility and innovative implementation it would be fantastic, in MIDI SCENE BLOCK to also add two check boxes "MIDI OUT" and "MIDI THRU", to decide where to phisically send AF3 MIDI internal commands (and the same for Program Map & C too).
e.g.:

mockup USB out.jpg

Maybe AF3 THRU is hardware managed only, but MIDI OUT is software managed, so it should be in the CPU powers at least to merge data there.
MIDI management is also very low power consuming.

Last edited:
+1 as long as it's switchable in the global section. Currently using the separate out/thru to end the 'loop' between FM9 and FX3, so they can talk to each other and share my CC pedals and CC switches....

+1000 for adding this to Axefx3. I'm currently using a Sonuus G2M to get a midi note feed to send to an Access Virus Rack. Since the Virus only has a single midi in, I will have to buy and mount an external merge box and have extra midi cables and power supply flopping around in the back of my rack, which ends up being the cause of most of my headaches at gigs, climbing around in the dark in the back of my rack looking for what shorted or is loose. G2m to afx3 in to Virus would definitely be appreciated, especially since the FMs already have this feature.

I don't think anyone but Fractal can answer that...

Since midi is not the primary focus of the Axe Fx, my guess is it would not be a high priority if even under consideration.

+1 - mustv been a reason for separate out / thru (maybe "mode" control is difficult). Anyway, I solved with a 50$ midi merge box
It is the standard config for MIDI I/O, actually. The merged OUT/THRU thing is non-standard. But it's like electrical outlets installed with the ground terminal at the bottom - nearly ubiquitous.... When I was running the FM9 and FX3 together, the IN/OUT/THRU in the FX3 let me run a loop without having looping issues. I used IN and OUT on the FX3, so nothing went THRU from the FM9 and back around the loop....

It is the standard config for MIDI I/O, actually. The merged OUT/THRU thing is non-standard. But it's like electrical outlets installed with the ground terminal at the bottom - nearly ubiquitous....
Stardard or not, I think it's normal to have the possibility to output all MIDI messages (external and internal) to one single connector and keep one single daisy chain.
I find a little strange to be forced to add an external box to re-join commands from the same device...
I used BOSS GT-PRO and GX-700 and they simply have this selectable option.

When I was running the FM9 and FX3 together, the IN/OUT/THRU in the FX3 let me run a loop without having looping issues. I used IN and OUT on the FX3, so nothing went THRU from the FM9 and back around the loop....

My wish is for a user's selectable option, so everybody will be happy ! :)

I don't think anyone but Fractal can answer that...

Since midi is not the primary focus of the Axe Fx, my guess is it would not be a high priority if even under consideration.

Using AXE FXIII I understood that MIDI have some essential improvements to be made there.

NOTE: Another one is an option to transform a temporary MIDI switch modifier into a toggle, very easy to be done and common to many devices.

But I also think that it must conquer its pivot role also in the MIDI domain, as a director like it usually do in the audio domain,
at least for a better interfacing with the other devices he "talks to" with all its INs and OUTs.

It has more than enough power to do it, MIDI is very low CPU consuming and far from being an obsolete communication system.

Missing merge option was the first obstacole I found with AF3, needing an annoying additional external merger, power supplies, cables... just to re-join MIDI commands coming from the same device. (I know there's a merger from MIDI Solutions self powered, I got it)
I finally decided to put AF3 in the last position of my MIDI chain (6 MIDI controllable devices), like a servant, instead of being the master. ;)

In addition, it should be obvious to add this users' option at least for compatibility with FM9 and FM3 behaviour.
But this is just an opinion...

When somebody asks me "Does AF3 do everything FM9 does?" I answer "YES, and much more, but not MIDI merge and it hasn't foot buttons" :laughing:

Last edited:
+1. I would love to ditch the MIDI merge box to combine the AxeFx MIDI OUT and THRU. It's the only 3-port MIDI device I own out of many that doesn't have this as an option.

The traditional MIDI schematic for MIDI THRU is actually a hardware copy of incoming data.
Meaning that any signal on the THRU port is never processed in the unit, it's just sent right back out through a small buffer.
(Thru could also be done by a processor, but this is not typical on 3 jack systems)
1985 midi.org schematic attached. Notice the "To UART" branches off to the Thru jack

But perhaps a MIDI Merge on the OUT Jack would be feasible?
It would certainly be convenient.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.56.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.56.30 AM.png
    96 KB · Views: 7
The traditional MIDI schematic for MIDI THRU is actually a hardware copy of incoming data.
Meaning that any signal on the THRU port is never processed in the unit, it's just sent right back out through a small buffer.
(Thru could also be done by a processor, but this is not typical on 3 jack systems)
1985 midi.org schematic attached. Notice the "To UART" branches off to the Thru jack

But perhaps a MIDI Merge on the OUT Jack would be feasible?
It would certainly be convenient.
And the Fractal stuff follows the convention THRU is hardwired to IN.

Back
Top Bottom