Midi merge problem (is driving me nuts!)

jonah

Inspired
Guys!
I bought a Midiman merge 2x2 (the pink one), and I have hooked it up as follows

MFC (out) --> (in 1) Merge (out 1) --> (in)Axe-Fx Ultra (v11)
Mbox2(out) -->(in 2) Merge (out 1) --> (in)Axe-Fx Ultra (v11)
Axe-Fx Ultra (v11) (out) --> (in)Mbox2

and all I get is "Status: Not connected" in Axe-Edit, and the MFC does not see and cannot operate the Axe-Fx
I have tried all cables and they work, and the DAW and MFC work fine when not going through the merge.

Have I connected everything right? Could the merge be broken?
It's driving me nuts!!

Cheers!
- jonah

Maybe not enough power is getting to it. Have you tried swapping the input cables (MFC to in 2, Mbox to in 1)? Got a DC adapter or any other MIDI gear to try?

Also, having the MFC in Axe-FX mode won't work properly in that setup unless you modify merger or cables.

Here's an alternative setup requiring no merge box, just a 2x2 interface (or two 1x1s): http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-...ller-axe-edit-midi-merging-midisport-2x2.html

Last edited:
Thanks for trying to help me out, Bakerman!
The red light indicating power on the midimerge is shining, and I have also tried with an external power source.
I have tried swapping the cables in all directions.

Now, all of a sudden, axe-edit works with my setup, but when swapping the the where the mbox and mfc goes in to my merger, it stopped working, and did not work when swapping back. Now, after a while of mocking around with it, it works again all of a sudden. It seems that it needs to be triggered in a certain order.

The MFC does not work though, even if I put it into non Axe-Fx mode.
I don't really understand the image in your link. I only have one in and one out on my mBox, so that configuration won't work.

I was under the impression that a midimerger would simply do what the name implied, but obviously not.

How's everyone else setting up their mergers? Anyone with the same one as I have?
It's a simple box with two ins and two outs on it.. how hard can it be? :(

Cheers!
- jonah

[QU0OTE=Bakerman;604050]Maybe not enough power is getting to it. Have you tried swapping the input cables (MFC to in 2, Mbox to in 1)? Got a DC adapter or any other MIDI gear to try?

Also, having the MFC in Axe-FX mode won't work properly in that setup unless you modify merger or cables.

Here's an alternative setup requiring no merge box, just a 2x2 interface (or two 1x1s): http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-...ller-axe-edit-midi-merging-midisport-2x2.html[/QUOTE]

I don't really understand the image in your link. I only have one in and one out on my mBox, so that configuration won't work.

Just a suggestion in case the merger doesn't start working 100%. You could probably get a Midisport 2x2 for about the same price as the merger, and you'd have 2-way Axe-MFC ability with no modifications needed.

In case it wasn't clear, with a Midisport 2x2 or similar interface you can have AxeEdit do the merge function. The setup is simply to hook the AxeFx to one set of in/out ports and the MFC to the other set of in/out ports.

Yes, but I don't have a Midisport 2x2.
I only have a Mbox, with a midi in and a midi out (and usb to the computer) and my Midiman merger (http://www.shreveaudio.com/midiman/merge2x2.jpg)
I just remembered that I have a midisport 1x1 also. Maybe that can come to some use?

The Midiman does not show up under midi devices in Axe-Edit, but the midisport 1x1 did. Does this mean that the midiman is not compatible?

Cheers!
. jonah

In case it wasn't clear, with a Midisport 2x2 or similar interface you can have AxeEdit do the merge function. The setup is simply to hook the AxeFx to one set of in/out ports and the MFC to the other set of in/out ports.

Thanks..
Yup, I guess that if I can't get it to work, it's just another device that will lie unused. I guess that Midisport 2x2 will be my next purchase.
Is it possible to use the expressionpedals on the MFC with the Midisport 2x2, while using Axe-Edit, without it messing with my settings?
Can the MFC be used in Axe-Fx mode with this setup?

Cheers!
- jonah

Just a suggestion in case the merger doesn't start working 100%. You could probably get a Midisport 2x2 for about the same price as the merger, and you'd have 2-way Axe-MFC ability with no modifications needed.

Merger wouldn't be detected by the computer. You can try the Mbox and Midisport 1x1 together instead of a 2x2 interface. Pedals & Axe-FX mode should work, just don't move the pedal and adjust something in Axe-Edit at the same time. Apparently that can cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom