Wish MIDI MERGE for OUT connector option

Why not? Just an user selectable option, like other devices do.

It's a little weird to add an external Merge Box to join two flows from the same device.
Hardwired is not user selectable. You're asking for midi merge, which is something different.

Hardwired is not user selectable. You're asking for midi merge, which is something different.
MIDI OUT is SW controlled, MIDI MERGE option is 100% feasible and very very few CPU consuming (FM9 and FM3 already does it).
Please let us reunite what AF3 divides, avoiding the need to add an external box ! 😊

MIDI OUT is SW controlled, MIDI MERGE option is 100% feasible and very very few CPU consuming (FM9 and FM3 already does it).
Please let us reunite what AF3 divides, avoiding the need to add an external box ! 😊
I have no disagreement with the option for a midi merge...

But the original post of mine you quoted was about the thru being hardwired to the input, to which you said "do it for the output". That's what I don't agree with.

+1000 for adding this to Axefx3. I'm currently using a Sonuus G2M to get a midi note feed to send to an Access Virus Rack. Since the Virus only has a single midi in, I will have to buy and mount an external merge box and have extra midi cables and power supply flopping around in the back of my rack, which ends up being the cause of most of my headaches at gigs, climbing around in the dark in the back of my rack looking for what shorted or is loose. G2m to afx3 in to Virus would definitely be appreciated, especially since the FMs already have this feature.
I have two systems, one with FM9T the other with AXE FX3T:
FM9 already soft merges IN and OUT, no need of external mergers,
AF3 don't have that option, dividing de-facto the MIDI daisy chain.

I'm using a MIDI SOLUTION MERGER, it has the advantage to take power supply from MIDI, avoiding to add an annoying additional power supply, but it requires mounting it somewhere in the rack, annoying additional cables and system weakness.

Hope Fractal will do it soon also in AXE FX3. Among hundreds of wishes, IMHO this is the absolute must have.

The FM3 and FM9 use a soft merge because they don't have a physical THRU port. The Axe III does. Use that instead of the OUT port.

The FM3 and FM9 use a soft merge because they don't have a physical THRU port. The Axe III does. Use that instead of the OUT port.
Like many people, I need to keep MIDI in 1 physical daisy chain, like FM9 and FM3 does.
Just the option to do it with OUT connector.

What AXE FX3 does is forcibly separate MIDI data flow into two separate physical MIDI flows, forcing us to add external devices to re-join MIDI from the same device.
IMHO this is a non-sense...

Like many people, I need to keep MIDI in 1 physical daisy chain, like FM9 and FM3 does.
Just the option to do it with OUT connector.

What AXE FX3 does is forcibly separate MIDI data flow into two separate physical MIDI flows, forcing us to add external devices to re-join MIDI from the same device.
IMHO this is a non-sense...

It's the original MIDI spec - THRU is a third jack, and separate from OUT. Not sure why they did it that way, but that's the way it's specified. A real MIDI guru could probably explain why this config is useful, but I found it useful to be able to set up a loop with FM9, two ExpressionIO MIDI continuous control adapter boxen, and FX3 without getting infinite looping, back when I was running that config a couple years ago.

Now I've pared it down to just :D the FM9 with an FC6 and one of the ExpressionIO boxen, and I wish for an FC0 with just the pedal and switch jacks.... :D

Last edited:
It's the original MIDI spec - THRU is a third jack, and separate from OUT. Not sure why they did it that way, but that's the way it's specified. A real MIDI guru could probably explain why this config is useful

Having THRU and OUT is a good thing obviously.
But the merge of IN and OUT "option" is IMHO mandatory, you are appreciating it and I also I'm using it with FM9 (in last FW version it was corrected).

We can connect up to 16 devices in the same MIDI line. It's really rare for guitarists the need to use more than 1 MIDI lines.

In any case to control same devices from footpedals + from AXE FX3 they must have to be wired in the same MIDI line, typical.

Last edited:
Does the THRU jack not send MIDI messages generated by the Axe III?

No it can't. It seems it's a direct connection to IN: it's typical indeed to avoid any latency, maybe just a buffer in the middle.

On the other side the OUT, software managed, unlike Fm9/3 the AXE has not the possibility to merge incoming MIDI with its MIDI,
so we need an external merger to join both flows in the same MIDI line.

This is the FM9/3 merge option, not implemented in the AXE FX3:

2024-07-29_13h29_37.png

in theory that's because there's a dedicated THRU port, but merging incoming MIDI with internal MIDI is an useful feature regardless of the presence of a THRU connector !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom