Midi mate or ground control pro

kevrock

Experienced
I have a midi mate I like it. But I think gonna need more the 5 ia buttons. Will the gcp give me more ia buttons.
I'm wanting to have a bunch of "pedal" buttons. And a vol up and down buttons. So I need more than the midi mate offers. Am I correct in assuming the gcp will do this.

The MFC is the easiest and most efficient choice.

I was in (and still am, due to the MFC waiting list) in the same position as you. I am currently using the Behringer FCB1010 but I have run out of switches quickly. I began considering the GCP, Rocktron Midi Raider, and continued lusting over they MFC. In the end the wife finally gave the green light for the MFC.

The Midi Raider might be a good option for you to consider if the MFC is out of budget. It's basically a Rocktron All access in a different housing. The price just jumped to $700 but this site has it brand new for $415:

Rocktron - midiraider - MiIDI Raider Long the professional standard in MIDI Controllers, Rocktron introduces the newest in a long line of MIDI products… Jacks Music Store

For the record I am in no way affiliated with that site and haven't ordered from them. I did a ton of research on the Midi raider and swapped emails with that store and they seem to have good communication. Just trying to help a brotha out. :)

I own a GCP, as well as some original Ground Control (not pro) and recently bought an FCB1010 (that I plan to mod with the LG-FCB kit).

Depending on exactly what you want, the GCP will probably be ok. But, the Midi Raider is very close price-wise and has some additional capability (such as being able to do scenes without preset mapping).

You might also consider the BJ Devices TB-12 - there is a good write up on this forum for it. It has only 12 buttons, but it has a "shift" feature that allows you to assign a button to shift all the buttons to an alternate set of IAs - very cool!

One thing to keep in mind is flexibility. Having used midi stuff for a number of years with different equipment I have always been happy with the GC / GCP until I got the Axe Fx... The GCP is not as flexible as it could be, the Midi Raider has a bit more... The TB-12 is super flexible, and a good price. Downside is that is is coming from Russia.

I was seriously considering the TB-12 but I want more than 2 CC pedals so I am going to use the FCB1010 + LG-FCB mod, which allows for 4 CC pedals (2 on FCB, 2 external) plus a huge amount of flexibility in programming the FCB.

You might also consider the BJ Devices TB-12 - there is a good write up on this forum for it. It has only 12 buttons, but it has a "shift" feature that allows you to assign a button to shift all the buttons to an alternate set of IAs - very cool!

Actually, it is in the "other midi controllers" forum...

What is scene without preset mapping??

A scene is CC #34 with a specific value (1 - 8 ) to select the scene. Controllers like the GCP do not support assigning a CC with a specific value - an IA button sends a CC with a value of 0 (off) or 127 (on) as a toggle only.

Using preset mapping is a "work around" that can be used in conjunction with disabling redundant PCs (program changes) to access the scenes.

The Midi Raider, the TB-12, and several other controllers do allow sending specific values and so can support scenes "natively".

I started off with a midi mate that I had from my previous rig, and used it for 2 years while I saved for the MFC. I loved using the midi mate and it's functionality.

Back
Top Bottom